Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Viewfinity connects to the network but not the internet

(Topic created on: 12-08-2024 09:01 PM)
carlcaulkett
Apprentice
Options

Hello! I am trying to get a new Samsung Viewfinity S9 up and running for the first time. I’ve tried all 3 methods: Remote Control, Smartphone and Mouse+Keyboard. The Smartphone option fails with the SmartThings app just hanging when it tries to connect to anything. The Mouse+Keyboard option fails because the screen fails to find any Bluetooth devices despite the keyboard being mere inches away. I’ve even followed the advice onscreen and connected my keyboard directly to the screen via USB, to no avail.

I’ve gotten the most mileage by choosing Remote Control. The screen find my local WiFi and lets me select it, but when I do so, it tells me that it is “Connected to the local network, but not to the internet.”

I’ve tried both Automatic IP settings and I’ve also tried replicating the IP addresses apart from the DNS server which I changed to 8.8.8.8 following a Reddit post which claimed that this would guarantee success. It didn’t!

I should point out that this is a working WiFi; I’m connected to the net on my iPad and iPhone. The Gateway and DNS server setting are the same on the Screen as the two mobile devices.

What I don’t understand is why I cannot just plug the video cable between my Mac Mini and Viewfinity and see what my computer is outputting. Why is there no manual method for getting connected?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
carlcaulkett
Apprentice
Options

I may have been mistaking the advanced Smart TV feature for the basic operations.  I think the basic problem is that I don’t have a suitable cable to connect my Mac Mini M1 to the Viewfinity S9.  My existing HDMI cable won’t work because the S9 doesn’t have an HDMI port. It looks like I’ll have to get an HDMI to Mini DP connector. If I’m wide of the mark here, please let me know!

0 Likes
carlcaulkett
Apprentice
Options

I’ve also tried other public DNS servers such as 1.1.1.1 and 81.138.71.238 as per https://public-dns.info/. Nothing works which makes me suspect increasingly that this is some Lind of local issue such as firewall permissions. Unfortunately I have not been able to find anyone with the technical know how or even just the gumption to escalate the issue to the appropriate people…

0 Likes