Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung 970 Evo Plus is unusually slow

(Topic created on: 30-09-2021 10:19 AM)
SylvainC
First Poster
Options

Hello,

I have built a PC with a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB but it is very slow. Here are the results I get from Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskMark :

Performance Benchmark_20210928.pngdisque.jpg

Here are my specs :
Motherboard : MSI X570 Tomahawk ATX AM4
CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
CPU Cooler : be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
RAM : 32GB (2 x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16
Graphic Card : Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB
Other : Using 2 x 2To SATA hard drives

I tried updating the driver but it doesn't seem to be recognized or even change anything, and as I've been researching about this problem it seems that  the disk is in the wrong slot (right under the GPU) as Samsung Magician indicates that the Interface is PCIe Gen. 3 x 4.

I don't know much about PC building but am eager to learn so help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Solution
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
the interface PCI-E is fine, that is the maximum the drive is designed for anyway. Which SATA Ports do you have the 'Other' drives plugged into? It may be they are sharing the PCI-E lanes with that M.2 slot. Check in the manual for that motherboard and it will tell you which SATA ports affect which M.2 slot
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
I just removed the Samsung Storage driver from my own system which had been installed since March last year to see if it made any real difference. It did, the generic Windows one makes the write speed 2405MB/s for my EVO 970 whereas Samsung's is now 100MB/s slower. The read speed was 3549 for both drivers. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI B350 PC MATE and Corsair DDR-3200. What I would suggest is go on the AMD website and grab the latest X570 chipset drivers. Ignore the RAID ones unless you set the machine up to have the SATA drives in RAID
0 Likes
SylvainC
First Poster
Options

Thank you very much for your answer.

I changed the slot of the SSD and the SATA ports of my other drives, according to the motherboard manual (the SSD was in the second slot and I changed i to the first, while the other drives were in the SATA 2 and 4 ports and I changed it to 1 and 2). The result is that the speed is way higher now, as those captions show :

Performance Benchmark_20211002.pngdisque2.jpg

So thanks again for your advices, I will sure get the latest drivers to see if it makes any improvement.

0 Likes
Carlos Antunez
First Poster
Options

Wow, I should have done a google search before I sent 2 Hard drives with the same issue, and I thought that the drivers were defective.

One thing that I would like to point out is that I have no idea why Samsung is not monitoring these posts and the fixes, I spent about 2 hours with Tech Support and they told me to resend the disks back to Amazon for a refund. 

I tried everything, I didn't even know that my board had two slots for the EVO Plus.

So, I just switched it to the other port which was not covered but hidden by my graphic card, and walaaa!!, my Read speed is 3575, and my Writing Speed 3595. which was Read 3533 and Write 45 while talking to the Samsung Tech.

Thanks to all of you

0 Likes