Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Book S Echo Issues

(Topic created on: 05-01-2021 03:10 AM)
Noony
Apprentice
Options

I jus thought I'd share my story because I haven't heard anyone discussing it yet.  I bought the Samsung Book S a week a go for business and travel.  I am not slating the device because I mostly am happy with it but have one major issue.  I'm also a total Samsung geek with most of their good tech, right from the home hub through to the watch.

So the problem ... 

Regardless of what software I'm using (Skype, Teams, Go To Meeting, Blue Jeans) the other parties to the call complain about unbearable echo.  I took the unit into the local Samsung shop and they ran tests on my device and a device they had on display and could see that the pickup of the mic from the speakers was pretty bad.  The conclusion was that it's a manufacturing / design issue where either the mic and speakers are too close or there's insufficient shielding between them.

The only resolution is to use buds or a wired headset which is not great given the marketting of the device is for business travellers and what business travellers need to do quite often is communicate - who wants to be fishing out buds, hoping they're charged or untabgling wired headsets etc 🙂

Just thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone else is having similar issue sor if there's a better solution.  

5 REPLIES 5
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Noony wrote:

I jus thought I'd share my story because I haven't heard anyone discussing it yet.  I bought the Samsung Book S a week a go for business and travel.  I am not slating the device because I mostly am happy with it but have one major issue.  I'm also a total Samsung geek with most of their good tech, right from the home hub through to the watch.

So the problem ... 

Regardless of what software I'm using (Skype, Teams, Go To Meeting, Blue Jeans) the other parties to the call complain about unbearable echo.  I took the unit into the local Samsung shop and they ran tests on my device and a device they had on display and could see that the pickup of the mic from the speakers was pretty bad.  The conclusion was that it's a manufacturing / design issue where either the mic and speakers are too close or there's insufficient shielding between them.

The only resolution is to use buds or a wired headset which is not great given the marketting of the device is for business travellers and what business travellers need to do quite often is communicate - who wants to be fishing out buds, hoping they're charged or untabgling wired headsets etc 🙂

Just thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone else is having similar issue sor if there's a better solution.  

Hi @Noony  Obviously seems to be some issue, you could go through the Sound Trouble shooter, turn off enhancements and possibly  reinstall Sound Drivers to see if that makes any difference.  Failing that  may need to ensure Wireless Headphones were charged if ok using them.  See some information here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-headphones-echo-iss... 

There was a delay but the Galaxy Book S became available in the US 13 February https://news.samsung.com/us/galaxy-book-s-now-available-pre-order-experience-next-generation-computi... 

Think we are still awaiting its release in Uk and rest of Europe- not listed on the relevant Samsung sites - hopefully will not be too long.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Noony
Apprentice
Options

Thanks James!  The issue though isn't anythign that can be fixed through settings etc.  At least not that I've been able to.  I've tried all sorts and am a software developer so hope I know more than most what to try to rule out the basics.  That said - happy for any advice at all because it's a real pain!  I am a total Samsung fan, family fridge freezer, watch, phone, smart things you name it we have it.  I just wish I could get this working properly!

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Noony  oh right, no problem.  Take it with your expertise  you will have tried pretty much everything.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
chriskelly86
First Poster
Options

Anyone's keyboard backlight not working as it should? I set it to be always on but it does not come on.

0 Likes
starry_eyed14
First Poster
Options

Mine is not an echo per se, but a definite noise occurring during video conferencing calls somehow as a result of the interaction. It sounds almost like a popping or light keyboard tapping noise and is most predominant when it goes from speaking on my end to speaking on the other persons end. I guess I should just be thankful they aren't getting a terrible echo or any noise on their end! But it is certainly an annoying, subtle noise that I can't seem to get rid of. I don't hear it when I just listen to something on my own computer (youtube, netflix, recorded video), but I hear it when on zoom, messenger call or google meets. Something not quite right with the speaker set-up I imagine, or a possible transition noise with the noise cancelling functionality? Still within the 14 days to return mine so I might take it back. 

0 Likes