Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected. Connect the Device and try again.

(Topic created on: 22-10-2021 09:18 PM)
sr71_sr71
Apprentice
Options

Hi Folks.

I recently purchased a: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S1T0)

I am trying to install the recommended driver: Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3.exe

When I run the installer I get: Setup - Samsung NVM Express Driver, Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected. Connect the Device and try again.

Can you please advise how to resolve this?

Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21
joeylechem
First Poster
Options

I had the same issue as the original poster. 
This solution by familymania (and Samsung Memory Support) worked successfully for me just now. 

Important to note: dont enter safe mode manually through the bios menu, I was tempted to do that but that is only a one-time safe mode boot. Use that command in command prompt so that your computer is set to always boot safe mode and will therefore do so after clicking save&exit in bios menu when changing raid to ahci.

Background: I installed a new samsung 970 evo plus 2TB on my Dell XPS 15 9575 laptop after cloning my original hard drive onto it.  Its the only sdd plugged in (and directly to the motherboard) so i was confused when the driver installer said "device not connected."

Like the original poster, everything worked just fine without the samsung nvme driver. But I wanted to figure out how to install it anyway.

0 Likes
Members_oiHMNue
First Poster
Options

Same problem with the same laptop and SSD (HP ZBook Firefly G8, 48GB RAM, 2TB SSD (Samsung 2TB 870 EVO Plus), Windows 10 Pro).

I tried everything I remember to solve that problem, including messing with the BIOS, the HP Wolf software, ... I do not know what else I can do and I hate to lose lots of time with this kind of thing. 

I had a WD SSD of 1 TB and I changed it for a Samsung of 2TB and lots of lost hours trying to solve the Samsung Magician problem. I am thinking that I should stay with WD, at least their software worked with the WD SSD's.

0 Likes
Akeli
First Poster
Options

This is how I finally managed to install it for an Alienware:

- Cloned the current m.2 OS to a regular, empty SSD (alternate) to boot from once I plugged in the new M.2.
- Plugged in the new m.2
- Started the computer using the alternate SSD.
- Set the computer to run in safe-mode from startup using command prompt and typing
bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
- Restarted into BIOS
- Changed RAID mode to AHCI and disabled safe boot
- Saved and quit, auto-restarted into safe mode
- Safe mode automatically installed the new stuff for AHCI in the background
- went to command prompt to turn off auto safe mode (as administrator)
bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
- Restarted again in full windows
- Downloaded Samsung's drivers for the m.2 and installed
- Cloned the OS (now with drivers installed) to the new m.2 drive
- Restarted, advanced options/bios (F12 or hold FN key and then press F12), changed to boot from the new M.2

The drivers need to be installed on the new m.2's version of the OS for it to run.

0 Likes
VanHallman
Student
Options

Unfortunately, there is no option in my bios to turn off RAID and go back to AHCI.  "Changed RAID mode to AHCI"

0 Likes
Akeli
First Poster
Options

Are you sure you are in the right part of the BIOS? What computer do you have? The instructions were for an Alienware Aurora, but there might be a fix for your computer in particular.

If someone needs help getting to the main BIOS portion:

Select the Start  button, then choose Settings

Select Update & security and then Recovery.

Locate Advanced startup, at the bottom of the list of options on your right.

Tap or click on Restart now.

Wait through the "Please wait message" until Advanced Startup Options opens.

Click on UEFI Firmware Setting

Click Restart

0 Likes
970 Evo Plus
First Poster
Options

This Actually worked. I am using Asus X507UA Laptop with i5 8th gen processor. Laptop has M.2 Slot, but I was not sure whether it will support NVMe or not. I still bought 970 EVO Plus. Service Engineer came spent almost 7 hours just to install SSD in laptop and migration. He was not able to do that and was searching Youtube and Forum. I asked him simply to leave and not waste more time. Next day I sat for 3 hours more and found your input. It really helped.

0 Likes
Bingo Fett
First Poster
Options

This process worked for me, installing a 2TB 970 EVO Plus into my Asus G752VT.  However, my other two drives (an older Samsung from 2015 or so, and a normal platter HD) didn't have any useful information when I brought up Samsung Magician -- which is to be expected.

After I ran some initial diagnostics in Magician, I used the Samsung Data Migration tool to copy my nearly full 256GB SSD into my new 2TB SSD.  A couple of restarts later, and everything is exactly how I wanted it, with the 2TB as the new C: drive and the 256GB as an extra drive.

Thank you so much for these steps.

0 Likes
sy1978
First Poster
Options

Finally found a solution that worked with my Acer Swift 5 and my newly installed Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB!

I learned that you must disable Intel VMD in order for for the Samsung NVM Express Driver package to install properly. I was able to disable Intel VMD in my BIOS. My BIOS unfortunately doesn't allow me to switch from RAID to AHCI, which seemed to work for many. I thankfully stumbled upon this Intel VMD setting in my epic search for a solution. 

As others have experienced, the SSD was recognized by Windows and worked just fine after I installed it. This is likely due to this Intel VMD setting, which I've read is designed to give direct control and management of NVMe SSDs. It seems that this Intel VMD setting was preventing the Samsung driver from being installed. 

So problem solved for me. Samsung Magician detects the drive and works perfectly now. 

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
a_guest
First Poster
Options

@familymania This helped solve my issue with the Dell G7 7588 and 970 EVO Plus. Thanks so much!

0 Likes
DnorqQ
Student
Options

They are act like  *****, IT  WILL nOT HELP)
|

0 Likes