Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

970 evo plus firmware update

(Topic created on: 19-08-2019 04:53 PM)
Coozeki
Student
Options

Hello everyone!
About 4 days ago, I bought a new NVMe ssd (970 evo plus 250gb). I can use the drive in windows, but when I am starting to put some load on the GPU, the drive will go to 100% and freeze the whole computer. The only way is a hard restart. I have done a lot of things, such as installing clean windows 10, and I still had this problem. I understood that I have to update the firmware, but I just dont understand how to do it. 
Can someone help with me that please?

7 REPLIES 7
CarlH
Options

Hi @Coozeki. What CPU do you have? only asking because there is this thread which have mentioned some compatibility issues with certain SSD's. 

0 Likes
Coozeki
Student
Options

I use the 6700k 4.7 ghz with Asus z270-a prime. 

0 Likes
RpBP
Mastermind
Options

Be sure your socket is not sharing the PCIe bus between GPU and 970evo+, change of socket your 970 and try, or be sure than is selected as gen3 and x4 mode in the bios, but I thing last sugerence is not important, because it must to be in Auto.

Install drivers from samsung oficial webpage, install samsung magician and check firmware updates, a few weeks ago a new release get out.

Also could be excesive temperature in your M2 when you are playing.

Important please, try to install it in the botton M2_1 socket of your motherboard (M2_1) and (M2_2) Socket is the top one.

Greetings

0 Likes
saylinglow
Student
Options

I've a similar issue with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 2TB ssd. I am using this okay with an Orico usb-c to NVMe PCIe M.2 adapter, but it seems (from an Amazon UK review on the Fledging Shell Thunder NVMe enclosure) that I need to upgrade the 970 EVO Plus SSD firmware before I can use it in the Fledging enclosure.

Am I right to assume the EVO Plus NVMe needs to be installed in a PCIe adapter before Samsung Magician software can update the firmware?  i.e. a USB to NVMe M.2 adapter won't cut it?

My options are limited as I only have a MacBook Pro 15" Retina (2015) laptop or a Mac Mini (2018) hardware available.

0 Likes
saylinglow
Student
Options

Answering my own question: found a helpful hint from Rick Makes showing how to update the firmware using a MacBook Pro in  this instructional video    .

It involves installing the NVMe SSD in the MacBook as the primary drive using an adapter and booting off the Samsung SSD firmware update on a USB thumb drive.  Rick shows how to copy the Samsung SSD firmware update image onto the thumb drive using MacOS commands in Terminal.

AndrewMcN
Student
Options

I’m experiencing this with the 970 Evo Plus 500GB after nearly 18 months of stability on the same rig. Two recent changes, installed the latest firmware for this drive and updated to Windows 10 v20H2.

With Magician open, I may be seeing a correlated temperature spike on the drive. It was showing 58 degrees and defining this as too high. I don’t know why this would be the case all of a sudden. It’s in a large airy ATX case with plenty of ventilation. I suspect the firmware update the most.

As I’m writing this, I had started an extended SMART test. It froze at just 2 minutes in with 32 minutes still to go. An earlier short test had passed.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

0 Likes
AndrewMcN
Student
Options

Hopefully not tempting fate here but I just ran the performance optimisation (TRIM stuff) as it said it was needed. Seemingly after doing that I have a PC that no longer freezes. Could this have been the root cause???