Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 26-10-2019 05:39 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
jobean
Navigator
Options

Exactly that! If there is one thing we learnt from this. It is to wait a few months before jumping on a brand new product. 

Doesn't matter if it's Samsung, LG, Sony etc. 

I still keep my HW-Q90R (even though I am still able to return it). Apart from the lacking of eARC it sounds great and because I have it for a few weeks I can wait a while. If eARC never comes I allways can sell it and buy another. But if there is one thing I learned from this it's to wait a few years untill there is more choice and the technology is further developed.

0 Likes
SamSam_
First Poster
Options

History repeats itself. Same thing was with K950 soundbar and adding DTS-X to it.. K950 never got it, but next model/ next year N950 got it. After all the messages in the forum, all the customer service contacting etc... nothing. No official statament or anything. Same thing is very likely to happen with a earc.

0 Likes
redrumix
First Poster
Options

Hi,
It is my first post on the forum but...

Two weeks ago I sold my good stereo (amplifier, DAC, floor columns) because of its big size (I have a small salloon, 17m2) and changing using priorities (from 2-3 years I watched more movies/series than hearing music and I want more surround sound/effects than stereo gave me until today)
I have Sony X8509C TV (2015 model withou eARC, unfortunatly Netflix app don't work with Atmos DD+ with this TV) and PS4 (in future PS5).
I plan to buy Nvidia Shield 2019 because it supported in Netflix App Atmos via DD+ 
I don't need any other devices in inputs in nearest future.

Then...
I buy HW-Q90R (in full awareness of lack eARC support) 2 days ago and I'm waiting for delivery.
I had good price for it (750$ for new) and I tested sound in special Samsung place in market.
I hope that eARC will be supported in future updates but it is not my priority right now.

I have a questions:
1.  If I link my PS4 directly with soundbar via HDMI and PCM sound codec (loselless) and soundbar to Sony TV then will I have the best possibility sound on that devices?

2. I will don't have on my Sony TV (2015) Atmos sound in Netflix App (because it too old and app doesn;t support it)
If I will buy Nvidia Shield 2019 and link it directly to soundbar (secondary HDMI input) and soundbar to TV with ARC HDMI then will I have Atmos in Netflix App from Shield (it support Atmos via DD+)?

It's very important answers form me beacuse:
1. I suppose that I don't need eARC to my needs.
2. I'am watching in 99% from streaming services (Netflix, HBO Go<max only stereo...>, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Apple) and I need Atmos sound there where content has Atmos (via DD+). I suppose that any streaming services in near future don't have better quality sound than DD+ because of bandwich)
3. In future I will buy PS5 which propably will support Dolby Atmos via Dolby True HD. Is there any chance to work with HW-Q90R if I connect PS5 directly with soundbar (not via TV and ARC HDMI)?

I know. TLDR;-)
But however maybe you will help me.

0 Likes
pasab
Apprentice
Options

yes, you should have the best options if you connect directly to the soundbar. The only problem is if you connect devices with for example vrr or allm (i suppose ps5 will have it) you lose this feature

0 Likes
jobean
Navigator
Options
1.  If I link my PS4 directly with soundbar via HDMI and PCM sound codec (loselless) and soundbar to Sony TV then will I have the best possibility sound on that devices?

I did a lot of testing and the best result I get is setting the sound output on my PS4 to Bitstream (Dolby) and the soundbar on Adaptive sound. The sound is amazing then. Only difference is that my PS4 is connected to my TV which outputs losless audio to my PS4

0 Likes
redrumix
First Poster
Options

@jobean wrote:

I did a lot of testing and the best result I get is setting the sound output on my PS4 to Bitstream (Dolby) and the soundbar on Adaptive sound. The sound is amazing then. Only difference is that my PS4 is connected to my TV which outputs losless audio to my PS4

Thanks for a tip.
I will try it and compare to PCM (which is loseless).
I choose on PS4 Bitstream Option (Dolby) and then connect console to TV. In soundbar I will choose Adaptive mode.
Sound will be send via ARC properly to soundbar then?

0 Likes
redrumix
First Poster
Options
What is vrr or allm?
It is not feautures of HDMI 2.1 standard?
Soundbar has HDMI 2.0b can support eARC (because it is require 2.1) but vrr/allm?
0 Likes
jobean
Navigator
Options

@redrumix wrote:

@jobean wrote:

Thanks for a tip.
I will try it and compare to PCM (which is loseless).
I choose on PS4 Bitstream Option (Dolby) and then connect console to TV. In soundbar I will choose Adaptive mode.
Sound will be send via ARC properly to soundbar then?

Your welcome! Let me know what works best for you. Maybe you come up with an even better setup :winking-face:

I read on another board that PCM works best via optical but through HDMI it creates a 2.0 signal (at least from PS4) and I think that is right because I experienced zero surround sound with PCM.

0 Likes
pasab
Apprentice
Options
vrr is variable refresh rate and allm is auto lowlatency mode. These are features of 2.1 but also 2.0b can handle them. Anyway the soundbar does not support it, because of this you'd lose them if you connect directly to the soundbar (provided Tv is compatible with them too)
0 Likes
jobean
Navigator
Options

One thing I still do not get is why the soundbar supports Atmos and DTS-X as they only work with eARC!??

Or am I not understanding what eARC is?

0 Likes