Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 26-10-2019 05:39 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
dr12
Journeyman
Options

is there no expert to do this? to enable earc? is that not possible? By that I do not mean samsung but what kind of private person ...?

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options

lol that would mean to be able to insert a custom firmware into the soundbar, a unsigned firmware, whic I guess Samsung would prevent to do. SO the risk to brick the soundbar is actually really high.

So no, I guess nobody except Samsung engineers can do it ! and nobody will take the risk to test

0 Likes
dr12
Journeyman
Options
ok just dreaming🤪
0 Likes
Chebattler
Explorer
Options

do I understand correctly, if you connect samsung soundbar to  samsung q- series TV with hdmi (2.0 arc) ,

Dolby Atmos will be compressed, so sound quality with arc can't be 100% excellent, that is why eArc is expected with firmware.

Or it's about connection of PC to TV through HDMI of Soundbar without option to have both Dolby atmos + 4k 120hz?

Also, do we have exact description of firmware updates / planned updates to track if feature has been added?

0 Likes
MMIX
Helping Hand
Options

Guys, I think we won't be getting an eARC update. Today I looked at the first specifications of the new Samsung 4k QLEDs from 2020 (Q95T, Q90T, Q80T).  They all still have HDMI 2.0 and no eARC. So in my opinion our 2019s will not get an eARC update. Also we (Q90r owners) will not get a full HDMI 2.1 update. Samsung is going for 8k. If you want full HDMI 2.1, you have to go for 8k on Samsung. Samsung says that eARC is unnecessary for TVs, because streaming providers realize Dolby Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus, which works with HDMI 2.0. Therefore, TVs do not need eARC - Samsung says or means that. Let's see if the 2019 soundbars get eARC. Here is an argument for eARC.

0 Likes
dr12
Journeyman
Options

Hi

is samsung hw-q90r okay soundbar for lg c9?

does the atmos work? From aps(netflix, primevideo plex)? Xbox, through the arc connection? Thanks

0 Likes
jobean
Navigator
Options

Yes!! Works like a charm for me! 

Send me a PM if you need help with your settings 

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options

@dr12 wrote:

Hi

is samsung hw-q90r okay soundbar for lg c9?

does the atmos work? From aps(netflix, primevideo plex)? Xbox, through the arc connection? Thanks

For the Xbox unfortunately if you want Atmos to work well you will have to connect directly to the soundbar. Through ARC you will experience lip sync issues that can be corrected.

Except that everything work well with apps on the TV, you will get lossy Atmos as expected.

0 Likes
dr12
Journeyman
Options
thanks, this is the only way i lose vrr on xbox
0 Likes
akotlyrov
Apprentice
Options
Even Sony HT-ST5000 has DTS X and eARC update.
0 Likes