Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soundbar Volume no longer controlled by TV remote

(Topic created on: 14-04-2019 01:38 PM)
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Currently own a 2017 Q7 49" TV, with a HW-MS650 soundbar and a UBD9500 Bluray player hooked up via HDMI Arc. All has been fine up to now, along with 2 x wireless speakers that don't appear to give me any issues (after the initial teething connection problems).

Last night I turned the soundbar on using its own remote control, as opposed to selecting it through the TV, but I couldn't adjust the volume using the TV remote - as I normally would - having to resort to the soundbar remote instead. When using TV remote all it showed was the soundbar 'flag' on the left hand side, with no volume adjustment.

I have reset the soundbar, unplugged the HDMI lead, and reconnected, but it still will not allow me to adjust the volume.  Anyone any ideas?  

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
djknight90
First Poster
Options

I get the exact same issue now, and it never did this before. For me I'm on a Q7F65" and an N850 soundbar.

For me, if I open up the menu, go to sound, switch to TV speakers, wait a few seconds, then switch back to the soundbar it works again for a little while. But this issue will occur again in the future, without any sort of rhyme or reason.

0 Likes
djknight90
First Poster
Options

Okay so not sure if this has actually fixed the issue, but thought I'd share some steps I've taken which may help.

The way the TV controls the Soundbar is via CEC, and that signal goes on pin 13 of the cable. Internally though, pin 13 is common across all HDMI ports. This means that other devices that support CEC could be 'hijacking' the control.

I checked a couple of things. My Sky Q box had CEC enabled, so that the Sky Box could turn on the TV (which I never use). My Matrix had CEC enabled, also to control the TV (again, which I never use). My other devices don't appear to have any form of CEC. But I have read a couple of articles online that suggest issues resulting in having Apple TVs, and Android TV boxes connected. So it's worth a shot?

Since turning those two things off, it hasn't had the same issue. I can't say it's fixed for sure, will check it over time and report back.

0 Likes
mva1971
First Poster
Options

Hi,

is this problem solved ? Because i am having the same issues with an HW-q80R soundbar and a Samsung UE55MU8000 tv. When starting the TV, the TV remote works, but when i change a channel i no longer can control the volume. Soundbar an tv are connector with HDMI ARC.

0 Likes
Raspel
Explorer
Options

See Anynet-HDMI-CEC-and-ARC-not-working 

Home appliances:
3pcs AR9..., UE65MU7002, BD-H6500, UE46F6510, Galaxy A50.....
(Onkyo TX-RZ830, TX-NR-709 and 701, NVIDIA Shield, VU+ SOLO 4K, PS3...)
0 Likes
connected
First Poster
Options

I have samsung soundbar connected to Samsung TV via HDMI (tv ARC).  This magically worked for me:

If your app like Netflix is launched, quit it by holding "back" button on Samsung tv remote. Then press "home button", go to Universal Remote Setup. Click "Samsung" and choose "erase". 

Let me know if it helped!

Airtanker
First Poster
Options
nothing works for me
0 Likes
AdMoZe
First Poster
Options

This sent me in the right direction, thanks! I have a Samsung Q60T and JBL 2.1 sound bar. I initially followed JBL instructions to program the sound bar to respond to the TV remote's IR signal, which worked for a while and then same issue- volume stopped responding. After finding this I discovered the TV's universal remote setup is designed to establish a proper connection between the TV remote and a sound bar, etc. 

0 Likes
Hailee
First Poster
Options

Solved mine. 

I just unplugged both tv and soundbar from power source then plug back then turn on both then it was a success! 

Vilco
Journeyman
Options

I tried a few things, but simply unplugging TV & soundbar like Hailee said worked for me. I didn't try separately so don't know if one or the other was enough.
So many problems with this samsung TV & soundbar....