Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soundbar HW-N650, HDMI input not working - stuck at TV SPK

(Topic created on: 21-08-2020 01:00 AM)
stevanzr
Apprentice
Options

It's been months without any issue using HDMI as soundbar input from my Laptop with configuration : Laptop to HDMI-IN | HDMI-OUT to TV. Usually when i switched the source to HDMI, the sound was able to come out from the soundbar without any issue. Even without the HDMI-OUT to TV, the soundbar was able to produce sound output.

However, couple of days ago, the soundbar is acting weird.

After changing the source to HDMI, the indicator changed to "TV SPK" after few seconds and all volume controls become "Not Available"

The Laptop and HDMI cables themselves are not the issue here, since both are working fine when plugged in to other devices like TV. Bluetooth connection also works fine though, the soundbar is able to produce sound through that. I read some other forum and tried to reset the TV to factory setting, fresh installled my laptop sound driver, reset the soundbar, nothing worked so far. The soundbar stil stuck at "TV SPK" in HDMI mode.

Have you guys experienced the same thing with some idea how to fix this?

7 REPLIES 7
sehtah
Student
Options

I had the same issue. I've reset the speaker and my TV by unplugging them as well as the connecting HDMI cable. "TV SPK" would not go away like you said. So I connected my Samsung TV and soundbar with the optical audio cable that came with it. It's fine for now. Would've loved to just use the HDMI connection as that offers the best sound quality 🤷🏾‍♀️ Hope that helps.

westi
First Poster
Options

In Windows 10 display properties, select the small screen that represents your sondbar.

Under "Multiple displays" selecte "Expand...".

0 Likes
stevanzr
Apprentice
Options

@sehtah wrote:

I had the same issue. I've reset the speaker and my TV by unplugging them as well as the connecting HDMI cable. "TV SPK" would not go away like you said. So I connected my Samsung TV and soundbar with the optical audio cable that came with it. It's fine for now. Would've loved to just use the HDMI connection as that offers the best sound quality 🤷🏾‍♀️ Hope that helps.

Hi Sehtah, thank you for your reply.

Seeing that you have a similar issue, does it mean that we won't be able to use HDMI again for the rest of this soundbar's life? This case is a very dissapointing issue for both of us 😞

0 Likes
stevanzr
Apprentice
Options
Hi Westi, tried to do that, however still unable to get rid the "TV SPK" and still can't utilize the HDMI like it was used to.
The "Expand" options in Display settings didn't make the soundbard works with HDMI. Did you succeed with that attempt?
0 Likes
sehtah
Student
Options

Hey stevanzr - Quick update: 

I unplugged everything again and did away with the optical audio cable. I used my Samsung TV's remote, then selected the following: Settings => General => External Device Manager => Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). I turned my TV on and off and eventually "TV ARC" popped up on its own.

Not sure how this translates on your actual laptop. Maybe you can try updating your operating system? Hope everything works out. 

0 Likes
MegaPangolin
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Did anyone find a solution? Same problem here with a HW-Q90R sound bar. It was as you described until yesterday. Now, the HW-Q90R shows as connected and the green bars are moving in the sound menu but nothing can be hear, even after 2 resets of the soundbar + 2 resets of windows + 10 NVidia pilot reinstallations.

I own a Geforce GTX 1060 on a Desktop. For an unknown reason, it does not want any more to carry the sound to the HW-Q90R sound bar.

Both devices are connected through a HDMI cable which is also working fine (I've tested with my other laptop and it works fine).

I already tried the "Windows inbuilt Sound troubleshooter."

0 Likes
KarenzParentz
First Poster
Options

Hi. I had the same exact trouble few days ago. Finally found the one and only solution that works:

1. Unplug TV power cable from power socket

2. Unplug Samsung Soundbar power cable from power socket

3. Unplug HDMI cable from TV and also from the soundbar

4. Wait around 30 seconds

5. Plug them all over again as if it was first installment from unboxing (including plug the TV Power cord to the power socket).

This steps allow the HDMI ARC Port on TV to refresh and also refresh the Soundbar HDMI Port ( as if it was installed for the first time ).

Before this, I've tried every possible solution such as:

1. Factory Reset the TV

2. Unplug and plug the HDMI cable on and on

3. Initializing/Reset the soundbar by pressing the setting button on remote for 15 seconds until it shows INT OK

4. Switching HDMI Cable from other device

5. Countless other not-working solution

I had this trouble when first I unplugged the HDMI Cable from soundbar off the TV and plug other device ( Mi-Stick) on the same HDMI ARC Port on TV.

This action seemed to somehow disable the ARC function on TV, thus when the soundbar was plugged with HDMI again, the ARC connection lost ( that is why the Soundbar info display showed TV SPK or DN-IN or HDMI ( this condition is as same as when soundbar is not connected with HDMI ARC Connection).

When I tried the simple steps above, it finally works! The soundbar automatically connected with the TV as before ( TV ARC status shown on the Info Display on soundbar, the soundbar volume can be controlled with TV remote, and the soundbar type and version was detected by the TV shown on the screen.

Hopefully this will help.