Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Problems with Alexa on HW-S60T Soundbar

(Topic created on: 29-12-2020 05:51 AM)
Lakritskatt
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else if having issues with Alexa on the HW-S60T soundbar? The mic seems to be set way to sensitive so Alexa will wake up whilst watching TV or listening to music. Also whilst streaming content like music via Alexa there are frequent interruptions despite the WiFi signal being perfect and no other devices (including other Alexa devices) having any problems on the same network.

It seems to me the Alexa implementation is very basic and flawed as it also understands voice commands poorly. However the main issue is that Alexa keeps waking up for no reason when playing TV or music on the Soundbar. I had the Soundbar exchanged as though it was a defect but it's the same on the new one. Anyone else having the same problem with Alexa on their Samsung Soundbar? I hope it gets fixed in a firmware update as it basically means Alexa is unusable.

Thank you!

29 REPLIES 29
marko_71
Student
Options

Same issue with Alexa that wake up while watching TV or listening to music on my new S60T. My Samsung TV is connected via HDMI cable to the Soundbar.

0 Likes
gmhikes
First Poster
Options

I am a technical professional with Echo devices throughout the house.   My phone and tablet are latest generation IOS devices.   Yet Samsung has confounded me.   I am 2 hours into troubleshooting.  The SmartThings app rejects the wifi password for the S60t.    Then to hear that other users find Alexa is too sensitive is very concerning.   If no one from Samsung responds to this thread in the next 48 hours, I will return the soundbar and switch to the Sonos Beam.   Are you working on a fix?    Samsung:   Customers are begging for answers and they are not being heard.  Is this the reputation that you want?

Cikeri
Apprentice
Options

Hi all, just thought an update was in order.  After zero help from Samsung, I decided to have yet another go and, after many attempts and several hours, this is what got me working (ish) ....

Go into the TV and run software update (there has been one since my my original setup in mid December)

Go into the sound bar setup on Smarthings  and perform a firmware update (it said none available for mine but see below!) 

Delete all devices from Smarthings and/or Alexa.

Add TV back into Smartthings

Reset sound bar back to factory by holding down +/- button for 5 secs (watch for LEDS flashing)

Proceed with setup again

At this point mine said (not sure of exact words) 'there is an update being performed'

After re-adding to Smartthings and Alexa, all now working in a basic form at least.  Still many minor issues to resolve/understand but at least Alexa on the Soundbar is now functioning as a basic Alexa Echo device and is controlling other Alexa enabled devices in the house!

Hope this helps ... ?

0 Likes
alexgp87
First Poster
Options

I purchased the HW-S60T to pair up with a new Samsung TV and at the same time replace an Amazon Echo and it's been disappointing.

Alexa on this Sound bar is way slower to respond when it's called out than the Echo. I also receive the random phantom Alexa triggers while watching Movies. The worst part is that after every time I trigger this soundbar's Alexa to turn off one of my lights the volume on the sound bar gets significantly slow until I reboot it. If there are no updates within the next few weeks I might have to return it.

0 Likes
Solution
Lakritskatt
Explorer
Options

Hi all,

I found a great solution to this. I returned my Samsung soundbar and got  a Sonos Beam instead. Not only does Alexa work perfectly, the sound is also better. Will never get any Samsung speakers again. Totally unacceptable to release broken features and then not respond to your customers when they are asking for help.

slongs
First Poster
Options
will try this.... have many alexas in household, not only does this not work correctly I cannot play alexa music on it! Well did once and that wS it! very disappointed. cannot return as have full surround sound system that doesn't work with anything else
0 Likes
SKJ001
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for this update. Did this resolve the Alexa 'wake-up' notification going off at random times?

0 Likes
Andrew Smith
Student
Options

I have all the same problems that you have and still not resolved ! 

0 Likes
Rossvegga
First Poster
Options

Were u able to fix this? 

Its very annoying when watchng a movie all of a sudden, alexa is waking up as if someone mentioned her name. 

0 Likes
SKJ001
Apprentice
Options

No - it's still driving me crazy. The only way I think to fix this is to deregister the sound bar from Alexa and just have it running as a sound bar for the TV.. Waste of a product though!

0 Likes