Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q90R Lip-sync issues

(Topic created on: 14-10-2019 11:14 AM)
SIR-Blade
Student
Options

For you guys who are having LIP sync issues, I've solved it by connecting my Blu-ray player direct to the Soundbar, rather than the TV.

SET-UP.

Blu-ray player = LG UBK90

TV = LG OLED55C9PLA

Soundbar = HW-Q90R

Initial connections. Blu-ray to HDMI-1 on the TV, and TV HDMI ARC to HDMI Arc on the Soundbar.
All sound types other than Dolby Atmos have NO delay problems. When DOLBY Atmos used, i.e. using bitstream input, and auto decode, or any other option to enable Dolby Atmos you get a delay or around 120ms between screen and sound.

Intuitively you would think this should be the connected setup, so with all delay options on soundbar and TV set to Zero, you can't go negative numbers, you will always get a delay. Obviously decode processing times cause a delay within the soundbar.

Changing setup of Blu-ray to HDMI-2 on the soundbar, and keep HDMI ARC on soundbar to HDMI ARC on TV, you get NO delay with Dolby Atmos, as the Soundbar is doing the decoding and sending the video data at the correct time, in this case again with a Zero delay setting on the soundbar.

You are losing Blu-ray to tv connectivity, but most systems can communicate fine through the soundbar with CEC codes anyway, and picture quality should be the same. It's digital init ?

Ideally, I'd want the Blu-ray player connected directly to the TV, but until Samsung sort out delay processing issues, then outputing directly to soundbar is the only work around.

28 REPLIES 28
DerwDerw
Apprentice
Options

How are everyone's lip sync issues after the new eArc firmware update for the Q90R soundbar?

0 Likes
went1
Explorer
Options

this is what i need to hear. anyone Mueler?

Prawny
First Poster
Options

What is the firmware update number that you are talking about for the earc 

0 Likes
Prawny
First Poster
Options

I did a quick update whilst watching a movie and the lips sync is now working 95D03783-2E61-4FA8-9D5F-CA04400E4254.png

0 Likes
DjK4Yahweh
Explorer
Options

Hi. If you connect a device like a Sky Q 4K box through the Q90R soundbar instead of the Samsung TV's one connrect box, even though it fixes the lip sync issues? does it affect picture quality at all?

0 Likes
fsjon
First Poster
Options

@DjK4Yahweh wrote:

Hi. If you connect a device like a Sky Q 4K box through the Q90R soundbar instead of the Samsung TV's one connrect box, even though it fixes the lip sync issues? does it affect picture quality at all?

First time poster, I wanted to follow up on this to possibly help others.   I'm not an A/V genius but am fairly adept, I'm kind of embarrassed it took me this long to figure out.   (Ok, finding this forum definitely helped give me some ideas of what to try!)

After months of what seemed like hopeless sync delays over broadcast TV (got my system in early February just before COVID-mania set in), I made this change (OTA box in to sound bar via HDMI instead of directly to the tv) and the problem is gone.    I never had trouble via streaming or Blu-Ray, only broadcast tv (via TiVo Roamio box) and things have never sounded better.   Blu-Ray still goes directly to the tv and seems to be fine via ARC.  

This is probably "duh" territory for a lot of you that are above and beyond my outdated knowledge on this kind of stuff...like I said, I'm not a total Neanderthal when it comes to this kind of stuff and wanted to mention it just in the event that it helps any lightbulb clicks.  Especially for us old RCA cable type of folks!

I am making an assumption here, but with a cable box or antenna passing through the sound bar, I can't imagine that any video signal loss would be an issue, especially if it's a trade off to the lip sync issue.   Now, 4K sources may be another story?

Never been happier with my system, am hoping Samsung solves the intermittent random shutting-off issue in the near future as this has been my only other real annoyance.  (Issue described elsewhere, HDMIs need to be unplugged and inputs need to be reset)

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Not getting lip sync issues with mine. And got my Xbox one X directly to sound bar and atmos runs with lip sync issues.

Is all in sync for me.
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
No issues here with atmos and xbox one x and going straight into hdmi 1 on sound bar. Mind you also have a samsung q90r tv. No lip sync issues for me
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Why are all you guys having lip sync issues?

Not getting issues with my gaming or Netflix on my q90r tv and q90r soundbar and running dolby atmos.

Got xbox into hdmi 1von the soundbar not through tv as I wont get dolby atmos through tv anyway even with soundbar on, got  to directly go  through soundbar.

0 Likes
cminer72
Journeyman
Options

I found how to fix lip sync on the Q90T TV.  I'm using a Q70T sound bar.  Plugged Blu-Ray player into sound bar.  Sound bar into arc port on tv..  Cable box, PS4, Nintendo Switch/classic NES (switcher) in the other three tv HDMI ports.  Blu-ray worked fine like this.  PCM worked for the others.  Then I enabled eArc on the tv.  And more importantly I selected audio pass through.  The sound from the devices connected to the tv now pass through the tv unaltered and get decoded in sync by the sound bar.  All devices now using bitstream and  have Dolby turned on now.  Not sure if pass through is an option on the Q90R tv, but that's the solution on the Q90T

0 Likes