Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

HW-MS650 Soundbar has a mind of its own

(Topic created on: 10-05-2020 05:45 PM)
Alanw47
Apprentice
Options

I have had the above soundbar for about a month now.  For the first two weeks it behaved impeccably but has recently started to behave like a troublesome teenager.  I normally listen in HDMI ARC mode as I find that audio sync isn't quite so good in Bluetooth mode, and Optical doesn't give me quite the same functionality.

Now I find that the volume is slowly getting lower and lower.  Originally about 14-15 was quite acceptable now it needs 20 or higher just to be adequate.

The soundbar displays erratic behaviour without any user input whatsoever, things like Muting itself, Powering Off, Changing the source from HDMI ARC to Optical.  When changing TV sources the volume occasionally increases dramatically without enbcouragement then drops back again, or the soundbar will change source again.

The retailer won't replace it until a Samsung engineer has attended and deemed it to be faulty, but the problem is intermittent and may not put in appearance for an hour or two.  Now waiting for Samsung to arrange an engineer.

Really bizarre but has anyone here experienced even vaguely similar issues?  When it's working I like it, but seriously considering asking for  a refund and buying a different make,

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
MarkL2
Apprentice
Options

I have one about 4 years old. Started doing the same things. Behaved for a while but now total mind of its own. FInally threw in the towel, unplugged it, and using TV sound.

0 Likes
Alanw47
Apprentice
Options

@MarkL2 wrote:

I have one about 4 years old. Started doing the same things. Behaved for a while but now total mind of its own. FInally threw in the towel, unplugged it, and using TV sound.

If it helps I finally solved the problem.  Ironically a Samsung 4k Bluray player was sending spurious signals via HDMI whilst on standby.  I disconnected the offending bit of kit and the problem was gone.  Not a Soundbar fault at all.

0 Likes
MarkL2
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the info. I don't have anything else connected, so not sure what's going on. Just installed a firmware upgrade and seems to have helped so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Likes
Alanw47
Apprentice
Options

@MarkL2 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I don't have anything else connected, so not sure what's going on. Just installed a firmware upgrade and seems to have helped so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Just one last thought, as the sound quality is far superior to that of the built-in  TV speakers, have you tried connecting via an Optical Cable?  Sound quality should be just as good but in my experience was a far more 'stable' and well-behaved connection.

0 Likes
Solution
MarkL2
Apprentice
Options

Thanks - yes, connected through the optical cable.