Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alexa and Q950T

(Topic created on: 21-02-2021 01:20 PM)
Wigbilly
Apprentice
Options

Hey

I’ve had a Q950T for a couple of months now  and a few minor issues aside it’s been great ... but I just can’t get Alexa to work. 

The bar is set up on my 2.4ghz network as is my TV to which the bar is connected by eARC. 

It is also registered to my Samsung account and shows on my SmartThings app. 

It also appears as a ‘device’ in my Alexa app.

So as I see it everything re: Alexa should work ... but it doesn’t.  

When I give the ‘Alexa’ command word the bar wakes up - the sound (of whatever is playing on the bar) drops and the bar gives the Alexa chime indicating it’s ready for a command.

At the same time 3 lights come on the front of the bar - one blue central light with a white light either side.

But when you give any command nothing happens. It’s like the bar does not ‘hear’ you. After 10 seconds the sound returns to normal levels but the 3 lights remain. 

This happens EVERY time anyone says ‘Alexa’

Is my bar broken or have I not set it up

correctly across SmartThings/Alexa app?

thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
Wigbilly
Apprentice
Options

Bump

0 Likes
Pavel Kolev
Student
Options

Same here 😕

0 Likes
Solution
Pavel Kolev
Student
Options

So after 2 days of struggle. Most likely you have made some changes either on the soundbar or the alexa app/account and it can't authenticate.

The smartthings app is broken and won't let you sign out of alexa.

Here are the steps I took to make it work:

1. Delete soundbar from SmartThings app

2. Delete soundbar from Alexa App

3. Deregister soundbar from Alexa App (this is different from deleting it - in the alexa app, in your devices list you should have 2 instances of the soundbar - one you can delete with the trash can icon on the top right (the one connected through smartthings) and the other one has way more settings like location, follow-on etc - you should deregister it

After those steps the soundbar should not exist in any of the apps

4. Factory Reset your soundbar

4.1. Turn the soundbar off 

4.2. Turn it on and immediately hold "-" and "+" until INIT is displayed.

5. Add the soundbar to the smartthings app

6. Follow the instructions - at some point you will be prompted to sign in into Alexa again.

Hope that helps

Wigbilly
Apprentice
Options

Perfect - thanks. That worked for me! :smiling-face:

0 Likes
J19Q
First Poster
Options

Same issue with Q950A, tried the above solution and Alexa still doesnt connect. Software issue I'd think, will reach out to the tech support. 

Members_cJYusl3
Student
Options

I spent over an hour with a Samsung Tech to try and resolve this issue for my Q950A.  We ended up resetting the Soundbar, TV, and Smartthings... Alexa still not working. It did once but I had to change my WiFi router. Samsung passed the buck and are blaming the new router, but Alexa works on my phone using WiFi... so I've given in and can't be bothered using so much of my time to try and resolve this.

Melulup
Student
Options

I also bought the soundbar for alexa, and it is as if I have been cheated.

0 Likes