Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1012.6 Firmware Update for hw-Q90R Soundbar

(Topic created on: 18-05-2021 10:15 AM)
next6000
Explorer
Options

Hi Guys,

I've performed the firmware update 1012.6 for my HW-Q90R soundbar via USB drive. (currently doesn't work with smarthings app)

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

Also how should be the list bellow if the firmware 1012.6 is correctly applied to all components  ?

Thank you :smiling-face:

M 0133.0
B 1012.6
H 0051.0
FD 0040.0
W 0240.0
S 0136.0
RR 0136.0
RL 0136.0

304 REPLIES 304
Soussi
Journeyman
Options

if you buy a soundbar or tv make sure the specs corezspond to have good experience like the combo i have. otherwise it is a hassle

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

No soundbar is hdmi2.1 yet, so wont be a perfect match. Dont want an LG, game heaps, dont want to risk burn in

0 Likes
mroset
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I've been reading all the messages on the firmware for the HW-Q90R soundbar, and just wanted to share the following, which may be interesting to some users combining the Atmos-soundbar with a Samsung high end LCD TV  (I own the QE65Q90R from 2019):

- I am on the very latest firware for the soundbar, and no problems here with the system nor with the subwoofer  whatsoever (it may be toned down a bit as compared to the older/previous firmware, but it's still very powerful. Also, nothing I cannot correct with the equalizer settings though).

- I did also find and notice the Shop1-Shop6 and Shop NG settings, but to date haven't noticed any difference. Even more so, I haven't really been able to understand exactly how to 'Set' this to a specific different setting. In my case, after turning the soundbar off, then holding the volume-down button on the remote (!) for more than 5 seconds, it ALWAYS initially shows 'Shop6' in my case. Also fiddled around a bit with the cursor left-right/up-down buttons, but no setting seems really 'sticky'. It always seems to revert back to 'Shop6' when I access the option again and check it again.  Since the system is working perfectly now and I was just curious, I have decided to now 'just let this be'.

- Although not really on topic, I did notice major audio problems when streaming Netflix ATMOS-enabled titles to the soundbar (BluRay was fine e.g. with 'Seven worlds one planet' (4KUHD/HDR/ATMOS), no problems there). Sound was far from optimal (to say the least) when streaming Netflix ATMOS-titles. Also, the Netflix Tizen App otypically nly showed '5.1'  for ATMOS-titles  in the info-area whereas it should state 'ATMOS'. That turned out to be the setting in the TV 'Output format for digital sound' in the Expert settings of the QE65Q90R LCD TV. This was wrongfully set to 'PCM' (for whatever reason) and should always be set to 'Dolby Digital+'. After changing that to the latter setting, sound was phenomenal when playing ATMOS-titles (but also 5.1 audio-enabled titles, which is the majority on Netflix of course).  Hope this helps anyone....

Hence my personal experience:
Combining the Samsung QE65Q90R LCD TV with the HW-Q90R soundbar proved to be a perfect match and truly gives amazing and cinema-like sound and vision in all circumstances (the fact that QLED technology has a way higher brightness than OLED, combined with the fact that the TV is also used in relative bright (daylight) circumstances in my situation, and that QLED has no risk of burn-in (I personally saw a burnt-in LG OLED in the shop about 2 years ago, and am cured for life to be honest....), helped me make that choice). 

If I can help out anyone look-up or test anything on my system to compare, please let me know...

denodan
Navigator
Options

Yeah have the Q90R TV and Soundbar and both are made for each other  Q90tv has better HDR due to being brighter. Stop the fomo goes into detail about why OLED Cannot obtain real HDR, due to lack of brightness. Love mt Q90r Tv and soundbar, its all automatic, and sets sound automatically. Have some bluray atmos bluray disk and really amazing.

I have seen burning also on LG oled tvs, have a friend into gaming abd got burning. He ended up getting a QLED

I was in to minds about a tv, LG or Samsung. Choose Samsung I retired, so cannot afford a new tv every 2 or 3 years, so need a tv to last years, and did not want to take that risk of burn in

Playing games to get proper HDR, the tv needs to be a max brightness which is a no no for Oled. To protect themselves they have brightness limiters,  this cuts down the full effect of HDR .

Any way  I adjusted my soundbar to shopNG and got back all my tv sound settings dolby and dolby digital plus back again, getting atmos through tv and sound bar through tv Netflix app again

0 Likes
mroset
Journeyman
Options

@denodan  Thanks for sharing, similar experiences and choices here !

One question though: Can you share with us which steps exactly you followed to actually set the soundbar to 'Shop NG' ?  I followed the following steps, but do not seem to be able to make the setting 'Shop NG' "sticky" or at least determine what the current setting actually is: 

1. Switch off soundbar

2. Hold volume down on remote for 5 or more seconds

3. 'Shop 6' appears on display

4. With the cursor left-right buttons I can toggle between 'Shop1' through 'Shop 6'. being shown on the display.  I selected 'Shop 6' (or better 'stopped' when this was shown on the display).

5. Press the cursor down button. The display then shows 'Shop NG'. I then left it at that.   

6. Switch the soundbar back on

All seems well and OK after this, but I honestly have no idea what setting the soundbar has now been applied by following this procedure. Some people in this forum claim 'Shop NG' is a sort of 'confirmation' of selecting/setting the earlier mentioned Shop1-6 setting. Others claim that 'Shop NG' is a setting by itself, just like Shop1-6 is a setting. For the last possibility though, one wonders again how to   confirm the setting. Perhaps just selecting the option also means 'confirming the option' ?    

What's your opinion and thoughts on this ?

0 Likes
mroset
Journeyman
Options

@Levstyle   OK, I fully understand that, and confirm that that is the one and only correct approach to isolate the issue.  I am not saying that others are not experiencing issues. I simply wanted to share my personal experience here and the fact that using the latest firmware on my HW-Q90R soundbar does not pose any issues whatsoever. Bass (sub) level and overall performance and sound quality are still very balanced, very powerful and basically excellent as before (regardless of the firmware installed on my device).  Just to give an idea, setting the volume level to as low as 30 already shakes the room and house on it's foundation and mimics the experience that we normally only have in cinemas.  

And since I did have a serious issue with sound quality (low volume, no bass etc.) when I had the TV's audio output format setting set to the wrong 'PCM' setting, which made me think this could be related to the firmware update, only to learn later on that the TV's setting was wrong, perhaps it still makes sense to also consider the combination of both soundbar and TV, since that proved an important factor in my personal case... 

0 Likes
Levstyle
Pioneer
Options

Thank you for your sharing。I usually set the volume between 12 and 15。The fact is that the subwoofer upgraded to the new firmware(1012.6) at the same volume does not vibrate as much as the subwoofer with the old firmware(1010.5)

0 Likes
CornelPalm
Pioneer
Options

@mroset I have the same experience, my sound quality went up after the Update. I did the update by USB. The sub is still very powerfull. I cannot put the volume on 30 because then my mirror will come of the wall :winking-face:

And on the Shop settings. I was told that the Shop NG setting is a confirmation of the shop setting you choose. I am not sure if this is true or not, but what i tested was that you get the Shop NG message on every shop you choose. I switched between 1 and 6 and always it ends with Shop NG. But it also always opens with Shop6 in the screen. So not sure what is true or not. I asked it to Samsung helpdesk and they also could not explain it. There should be a stop shop option but that is not the case in the Q90R soundbar.  Maybe there is another way to select a shop option? hold the volume down again? not sure on this. I tried shop 5 and shop 6 but nothing changed in the sound/settings of the soundbar. So I think selecting a shop in the menu is done a different way.

0 Likes
mroset
Journeyman
Options

@Levstyle Yes, 12-15 is typically more than enough, I agree....   I get your point on the FW-upgrade, it's just that I don't notice it personally. The sound is simply brilliant and well balanced, the bass is deep as before in my case and hence does not leave anything to be desired.  Do note that this is all very subjective of course (which is highly personal when it comes to audio as we all know), also since I can no longer compare 1012.6 to the previous 1012.5 FW...   I can only say I am extremely happy with the sound quality of the system as a whole.  

0 Likes