I've finally got my hands on a LED Cover for Galaxy Note 10+ after months of hunting it online. And after all that time, it turns out that it doesn't work. The case itself is perfectly fine, it's new. However, it is detected by my phone as LED View Cover and my phone prompts me to download "LED View Cover Icon Editor" app to customize it. It is CLEARLY not a LED View Cover (model number EF-KN975CWEGRU, which is a LED Cover). I've seen several threads on this website that state the same - at some point these cases just stopped working after a software update. I did everything that was suggested in those threads: removing the phone from the case and putting it back, removing LED View Cover Icon Editor app and installing it again, removing the app and rebooting the phone, clearing cache of "LED Cover Case" app and rebooting. Nothing works. This case is not cheap so I (and not only I) would like Samsung to finally fix the software issues. If you have any info on how to make it work on Android 12 - please let me know.
I don't think talking to Samsung would result in anything anymore. In most similar threads people got one answer: "Reboot and reinstall the case, if that doesn't work - get a replacement". But there's not guarantee that replacement will work, and the next step after the replacement case is "factory reset your phone". Of course, nobody would do it, people have tons of settings and data on their phones.
Update after 4 months or so. Several updates were applied to my phone and nothing changed, the case still doesn't work. I decided to tinker with all this mess for a bit while I had some free time. I started by inspecting the Android's logs via ADB, where I found out that my case is, in fact, detected as a "type = 7" case, which is, actually, a LED View Cover case (should be type 14). The case also has passed the authentication (as it should, the case is genuine and fully intact). Then, after wandering around the decompiled .apk files of LED Cover app (package name com.samsung.android.app.ledbackcover), I found the proof that my observations are correct.
But first, I have to give a little explanation on how things work in software. There is an app that "controls" all the attachable accesories. However, it doesn't really control them, but rather holds the info about them and decides which piece of software should take care of exact accessory afterwards. Those are also called "controllers". And in my case there are two controllers that take care of most of Samsung's cases: Beyond LED View Cover Controller and Beyond LED Back Cover Controller. "Beyond" is probably an alias for a case. There's also an "Unbound", "Dreamy", "Hubble" and "Davinci" controllers. The important part is this - for a specific case to work properly, the correct controller must be utilized.
Now that the technical stuff is out of the way, I shall present you this line from the logs I mentioned previously:
LEDCoverService: [LCS] LedService.BeyondLEDViewCoverController [Line : 510] showDownloadLEDCoverFeaturePopup
Some of you may already have spotted the catch. If you haven't, take a closer look and the string after the first dot. It says
Especially the word 'View'. That word shouldn't appear anywhere when I have a LED Back Cover installed on my phone. But here it is.
Next follows all the stuff associated with the LED View Cover: I get a popup window telling me to download the LED View Editor, which would never work with the LED Back Cover. We can even see it in the code: in the BeyondLEDViewCoverController the sendDownloadPopupEventBroadcastToQIP() method sends us to the app samsungapps://ProductDetail/com.samsung.android.app.ledcoverdream , while the same method in the other controller sends us to the samsungapps://ProductDetail/com.samsung.android.app.ledbackcover app, which should work with LED Back Cover. However, the latter app is said to be "not supported" by my Galaxy Note 10+.
I have an assumption about how this could happen. Just as I received my case, I installed it and wanted to see how it works. However, I got a "firmware update" for the case that soon finished installing. After that, the case never functioned. My guess is that the software that is responsible for installing firmware updates on the cases made a "mistake" and flashed the firmware of the case of other type onto my case. The other options is that my case was improperly flashed from the factory, but that's an even more embarassing case, because the QA process of such product is extremely easy.
I will try to find a solution to this problem, but since I don't have any source files for the related apps, it would not be easy.