Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 10+ LED Cover is detected as LED View Cover

(Topic created on: 07-03-2022 02:09 PM)
EZGGWP
Journeyman
Options

I've finally got my hands on a LED Cover for Galaxy Note 10+ after months of hunting it online. And after all that time, it turns out that it doesn't work. The case itself is perfectly fine, it's new. However, it is detected by my phone as LED View Cover and my phone prompts me to download "LED View Cover Icon Editor" app to customize it. It is CLEARLY not a LED View Cover (model number EF-KN975CWEGRU, which is a LED Cover). I've seen several threads on this website that state the same - at some point these cases just stopped working after a software update. I did everything that was suggested in those threads: removing the phone from the case and putting it back, removing LED View Cover Icon Editor app and installing it again, removing the app and rebooting the phone, clearing cache of "LED Cover Case" app and rebooting. Nothing works. This case is not cheap so I (and not only I) would like Samsung to finally fix the software issues. If you have any info on how to make it work on Android 12 - please let me know.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
adrien65
First Poster
Options

I am having the same problem.  I have to different LED covers/cases that don't work.  Open a trouble ticket with Samsung Care.

0 Likes
EZGGWP
Journeyman
Options

I don't think talking to Samsung would result in anything anymore. In most similar threads people got one answer: "Reboot and reinstall the case, if that doesn't work - get a replacement". But there's not guarantee that replacement will work, and the next step after the replacement case is "factory reset your phone". Of course, nobody would do it, people have tons of settings and data on their phones.

0 Likes
EZGGWP
Journeyman
Options

Update after 4 months or so. Several updates were applied to my phone and nothing changed, the case still doesn't work. I decided to tinker with all this mess for a bit while I had some free time. I started by inspecting the Android's logs via ADB, where I found out that my case is, in fact, detected as a "type = 7" case, which is, actually, a LED View Cover case (should be type 14). The case also has passed the authentication (as it should, the case is genuine and fully intact). Then, after wandering around the decompiled .apk files of LED Cover app (package name com.samsung.android.app.ledbackcover), I found the proof that my observations are correct. 

But first, I have to give a little explanation on how things work in software. There is an app that  "controls" all the attachable accesories. However, it doesn't really control them, but rather holds the info about them and decides which piece of software should take care of exact accessory afterwards. Those are also called "controllers". And in my case there are two controllers that take care of most of Samsung's cases: Beyond LED View Cover Controller and Beyond LED Back Cover Controller. "Beyond" is probably an alias for a case. There's also an "Unbound", "Dreamy", "Hubble" and "Davinci" controllers. The important part is this - for a specific case to work properly, the correct controller must be utilized. 

Now that the technical stuff is out of the way, I shall present you this line from the logs I mentioned previously:

LEDCoverService: [LCS] LedService.BeyondLEDViewCoverController [Line : 510] showDownloadLEDCoverFeaturePopup

Some of you may already have spotted the catch. If you haven't, take a closer look and the string after the first dot. It says 

BeyondLEDViewCoverController

Especially the word 'View'. That word shouldn't appear anywhere when I have a LED Back Cover installed on my phone. But here it is. 
Next follows all the stuff associated with the LED View Cover: I get a popup window telling me to download the LED View Editor, which would never work with the LED Back Cover. We can even see it in the code: in the BeyondLEDViewCoverController  the  sendDownloadPopupEventBroadcastToQIP()  method sends us to the app samsungapps://ProductDetail/com.samsung.android.app.ledcoverdream  , while the same method in the other controller sends us to the samsungapps://ProductDetail/com.samsung.android.app.ledbackcover   app, which should work with LED Back Cover. However, the latter app is said to be "not supported" by my Galaxy Note 10+.
I have an assumption about how this could happen. Just as I received my case, I installed it and wanted to see how it works. However, I got a "firmware update" for the case that soon finished installing. After that, the case never functioned. My guess is that the software that is responsible for installing firmware updates on the cases made a "mistake" and flashed the firmware of the case of other type onto my case. The other options is that my case was improperly flashed from the factory, but that's an even more embarassing case, because the QA process of such product is extremely easy.
I will try to find a solution to this problem, but since I don't have any source files for the related apps, it would not be easy.

0 Likes
Tobim6
First Poster
Options

Did you find any way to roll back to the old firmware?

0 Likes
EZGGWP
Journeyman
Options

No, I kind of gave up. Too many obstacles to make even a most half-assed fix for this (root, Knox, some other Samsung-specific specificities that made it difficult). I figured out one funny sign that my theory about wrong firmware is correct: if I put a magnet to a certain spot on the case when it is on the phone, and I unlock the phone or put it face down to trigger a LED case activation event, it indeed activates and tries to show something, but fails because LED Back Cover has different amount of LEDs from LED View Cover and the image is malformed. It's funny because they even put the same hardware as LED View Cover into this case, including the magnetic sensor (which would be unused since there are no front covers on this case to trigger that sensor). Sad that it happened that way, I spent a month searching for this case and ended up paying full price for a used (but in perfect condition) case. Then again, maybe it was broken by previous owner, but making the case breakable so easily by users is just bad design. At least the case is made in Korea and it had a very nice feel to it.

0 Likes
class37
Apprentice
Options
I have same problem with my Note 20 Ultra in spite of buying a new cover from Samsung. Nothing seems to fix this.
0 Likes