Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE65KS8000 shows 2 x drives in source when there is only 1 connected, not able to record or use timeshift due to this

(Topic created on: 04-03-2019 08:28 AM)
coolhandluc
Student
Options

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

When I plug in a hard drive and I have tried multiple drives some formatted before connecting and some I've tried formatting with the TV when prompted  to the first time you plug it in and usb sticks whether I use the dedicated  5amp usb for hard drives or any of the other usb's I get the same problem. In the source menu shows 2 x drives (formatted and not partitioned).

The first drive is given a no lets say 178 and then the 2nd drive the same number but with a  2 in brackets so shows 178(2).

The first one is unusable as it shows barely any memory and 2nd one has all the memory. I can watch media off the drive as long as I select the 2nd one as thats where the media is, so what's the problem you say?

The problem comes when I try to record or use timeshift  the TV automatically selects  the first drive and then says I have no memory, it will record a few mins then memory runs out.

So why is the TV showing 2 x drives as sources when only 1? and then why does it automatically select the one that does not work?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

To me this souds like an issue with partitioning of your hard drive (partition 1 - unlabeled, small, most likely with unnecessary logical data, and partition 2 - labeled "(2)", with most of the free space for the actual drive).

Most likely you will need to backup and reformat the entire drive (although there are also workaround methods but its easiest and safest to just reformat).

If you use Windows you can use built in tools like "Diskpart" in Command Propmt to erase the drive and its patitions with a single command, and "Disk Manager" to rebuild the partition table and format the drive. Than you can normally transfer your backed up files to the drive. Google the keywords I mentioned above and you should be done in 5 minutes with reformatting and cleaning your drive.

FYI, before you reformat the drive, check out which formats are supported for your TV and suit your use cases.

My QLED 2018 supports a supprising amount of formats (NTFS, EXT4, exFAT).

0 Likes
coolhandluc
Student
Options

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

You are right it does sound like a partition thing even though there are no partitions on the drive and in fact I have it working now so you are right.

Anyway I started from scratch , erased the disk. Reformatted to MS DOS Fat32. popped it into my TV it asked to format again (a good thing as it didn't ask that previous times after formatting on the mac) to which I said yes and now it works only 1 drive showing.

I do not understand why it works now and didn't before as I have tried formatting drives before, I think the mac may make some small partition that the TV sees but the mac does not.

Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

Yes, Mac OS has the tendency to create extra partitions on removable media.

It "sees" it, but they are hidden by default on the OS, as that (small) partitions is not intended for user data, but for GPT hashtable (references / lookup tables for files on the actual drive, large partition).

Anyway its good that you have posted here, as someone else may resolve their issues :smiling-face:

0 Likes