Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question - is storage dump possible?

(Topic created on: 30-11-2019 10:24 AM)
RickC99
First Poster
Options

My daughter's toddler has smashed my daughter's Samsung phone. She's already had it replaced and swapped SIM but wants to know if it's possible to retrieve photos of her daughter from the internal storage of her smashed device. She doesn't care about anything else. The phone powers up (I charged it and the charge indicator went from red to green) but there's no screen output at all. All I can see is a steady green light to the left of the top front Samsung logo. (The rear glass is also broken just above the charging point so I can't even tell what model it is.) Is there a storage dump tool or can a mobile phone shop or Samsung service centre do this?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@RickC99 wrote:

My daughter's toddler has smashed my daughter's Samsung phone. She's already had it replaced and swapped SIM but wants to know if it's possible to retrieve photos of her daughter from the internal storage of her smashed device. She doesn't care about anything else. The phone powers up (I charged it and the charge indicator went from red to green) but there's no screen output at all. All I can see is a steady green light to the left of the top front Samsung logo. (The rear glass is also broken just above the charging point so I can't even tell what model it is.) Is there a storage dump tool or can a mobile phone shop or Samsung service centre do this?

If you connect the phone via USB to a PC, what happens ? Does it show the internal storage ?

RickC99
First Poster
Options

Thank you for your reply. If I connect her phone to my Dell laptop running Win 10 I get the 'de-donk' sound of a USB device being recognised but Device Manager shows it as 'unknown' and File Manager shows no new removable storage devices:

unknown-USB-device.png

It's obvious that a device driver is needed but I'm unsure about how to make this happen. I'm not familiar with Samsung/Android devices so I don't know if there's an onscreen popup to 'Trust' the device (like on iPhones) which would lead to subsequent installation of missing drivers... which I couldn't see anyway as the phone has no screen output.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@RickC99 wrote:

It's obvious that a device driver is needed but I'm unsure about how to make this happen. I'm not familiar with Samsung/Android devices so I don't know if there's an onscreen popup to 'Trust' the device (like on iPhones) which would lead to subsequent installation of missing drivers... which I couldn't see anyway as the phone has no screen output.

Yes, it seems the phone needs at least a login, which won't be possible without a screen. Samsung offers a service "find my mobile" https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/find-my-mobile/ which, if it should have been properly set up on the device, would allow the user to access the phone from remote and backup its data to the samsung cloud. But I guess that this hasn't been prepared here. So there's probably only one option : get the phone repaired.
RickC99
First Poster
Options

I'll check, but suspect that daughter never did anything to setup any Samsung backup service... hence why she asked me for help. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

I'll let her know that only way forward is to have phone repaired... which I already know she won't want to do. A hard lesson for her... but thank you for your reply.

0 Likes