Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Clear View Standing Cover : problems after booting the S9

(Topic created on: 25-10-2019 09:21 AM)
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

Sometimes, after a reboot, the opening and closing of the Clear View Cover isn't recognized by the S9.

When asked in the past Samsung suggested a factory reset, but that didn't help.

It is NOT a problem of the hardware, the hall-sensor works correctly ( tested with sensor test *#0*# ).

Some affected users have found the following workaround : press start button with cover being open, 5 sec after begin of startup close cover, keep closed while booting, some secs after sim-unlock-prompt the closed cover is recognized, from then on it works until to the next boot .

There are several topics, chats, etc for this issue - I would kindly ask Samsung to involve technical staff, do a proper root cause analysis and solve the problem.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

@CarlH wrote:

Already passed it on to our contacts, @IreibeX

@CarlH @Anonymous User : Due to some other problems with the hardware ( the bixby key didn't work so I couldn't boot into maintenance mode, wipe the cache partition and see if that solves the problem ) I sent my S9 back to the vendor. So in a way my problem is solved.

Well, the vendor gave me new S9 ... and that works. As there also were some other issues with the other device, I've come to the conclusion that this might have been a hardware defect after all. That's not a perfect explanation, as the hardware test showed no problems with the hall sensor, but I havn't got a better one.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

Ok, after the December Security Patch it happened again on my new S9. I wiped the cache partition and hope that this workaround will help. The question then would be : why isn't the cache partition wiped automatically after updates ?

View solution in context

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23
henningr
First Poster
Options
Same issue here. After today's software update, clear view stopped working.
0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@henningr wrote:

After the S/W-time-conversion that happend during the night the phone took three boots to properly recognize the cover (workaround applied). I've got the vague suspicion that any change, os-update etc effect this. I'll report here whether it works normally again during the next days.

0 Likes
Kappa74
Student
Options

Same issue from my S9plus as well since last week update.

waiting for a quick fix from Samsung, this is not acceptable from a top device with genuine accessory...thanks!

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

This here is another thread regarding the same issue :

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-S9/Clear-case-not-working-after-s9-update/td-p/741369

There are several other workarounds :

- remove S9 from case and reassemble

- wipe cache partition

- replace cover

- boot while charging

Sometimes they work, sometimes not. And after the next update the same issue again. 

My best guess is that this is an initialization problem during the boot process.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

@henningr wrote:

After the S/W-time-conversion that happend during the night the phone took three boots to properly recognize the cover (workaround applied). I've got the vague suspicion that any change, os-update etc effect this. I'll report here whether it works normally again during the next days.

The last three days the Open-close-during-boot-workaround worked. 

0 Likes
Kappa74
Student
Options

Mine has the same behaviour, since it is rebooting every night as planned for the auto-maintenance, days of working and NOT-working are randomly alterning

IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@Kappa74 wrote:

Mine has the same behaviour, since it is rebooting every night as planned for the auto-maintenance, days of working and NOT-working are randomly alterning

Could you submit an error report via the Samsung Members App ?

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/samsung-members-how-to-submit-an-error-report/

Your configuration might yield some valuable system log information, and another error report might sharpen Samsung's attention.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@CarlH : ( sorry to grab your attention and assault you with this request, but I don't know whom and how else to ask ) could you perhaps obtain information about the status this issue has ? Does Samsung know about this, do they regard it as a problem, are they working to solve it etc.  

IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@Kappa74 wrote:

I can confirm the random behaviour. Yesterday and today my usual best practice ( cover opened while pressing the power on button, then close cover until boot finished ) didn't work. Yesterday I booted tree times without the S9 recognizing the cover status, then I booted while charging, that worked. Today after the first failed attempt I did a restart with the cover permanently open, that worked. So if there is a rule I haven't found it yet 😞 .

@Anonymous User, @Moderators : any ideas ?

0 Likes