Support

Open search

Note 9 Corrupting SD Cards! Help!

Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle! I've had Samsung Galaxy phones for the last 6 years with no issues, but unfortunately that has just changed...

I have had a Note 4 for three years, using a class 10 Sandisk 64gb SD card. In three years I never had any issue with either the phone or the SD card.

I've just purchased a Note 9 (locked to the 02 network, UK) and it's corrupting sd cards.

I purchased a brand new 128gb class 10 Samsung SD card, inserted it into the Note 9 and formatted the card. I then connected the Note 9 to my PC via the usb cable that comes with the Note 9. I moved all of my files that I had backed up from my 64gb card onto the new 128gb card in the Note 9. 

When I looked in the gallery, around half of the pictures were either not viewable or were missing. I have used Poweramp music player for years (downloaded from the Play store) and have never had an issue with the app. When I scanned my music folders in Poweramp, around 30% of the files were either missing or would not play. When I connected the Note 9 back to my PC to check the contents of the SD card, the files that had an issue (pictures not viewable or music not playing) were simply missing! Some picture folders had disappeared. All of the music folders (titled by artist name) were present, but the ones with songs that wouldn't play were empty, as if the files had been deleted! Strangely, the free space left on the card was the same; as though the space the missing files had taken was still classed as being used...

I assumed I had been unlucky and bought a corrupted card, so I bought another 128gb class 10 SD card, this time a Sandisk one as I already have a 64gb Sandisk card and have had no issues with it. The same exact thing happened again! I don't believe I've been unlucky enough to but two brand new SD cards, different brands, and both were corrupted to begin with! The common denominator is the Note 9 handset!

I have searched online and lots of people seem to be having this issue. 

I have inserted the 64gb SD card from my Note 4 into the Note 9 (just turned the Note 4 and Note 9 off, removed the card from the Note 4, inserted it into the Note 9, then switched on the Note 9. No formatting, just switched it from one phone to the other) and so far that seems to be working, but why would an old SD card work and not a brand new one? And will the Note 9 start corrupting that card too???

I have just paid hundreds of pounds for the newest flagship phone and I can't use an external memory card without fear of losing my information! What is the solution to this? Does anyone have an idea of what is happening?
Top Liked Authors