Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't Galaxy Watch 4 update over WiFi or mobile data

(Topic created on: 10-11-2021 03:38 PM)
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
I have a GW4 Classic 46mm LTE with a 10gb data plan and also connected to my home WiFi, so why must I have to be connected via Bluetooth to download and install an update 

Surely should be able to download via WiFi/mobile initially or user should be able to select the option.

Update: found this which proves my theory you can't update over WiFi.

To automatically download software updates over a Wi-Fi network, tap the switch next to "Auto download over Wi-Fi."

Note: This option is not available on the Galaxy Watch4 and Galaxy Watch4 Classic.

While the software update is being applied, the watch will reboot and show a progress bar or rotating animation.

You can also update a Galaxy Watch4 directly from the watch. It will still need to be paired to a compatible Android phone. Just open Settings, scroll down to and then tap Software update.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
This page maybe helpful to you

How to enable Wi-Fi on a Galaxy Watch

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/mobile-devices/how-to-enable-wi-fi-on-a-galaxy-watch/
0 Likes
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
Thanks but that has nothing to do with my issue.
My WiFi is on, so is my BT and so is my mobile data. If you turn off BT the watch reports it must be connected to my phone by BT. It won't use WiFi or Mobile data for updating
This is common with a lot of WearOS watches and you would think by now they allow installation via the faster connection instead of slow BT
NickC73563
First Poster
Options
Try turning the power saving mode off on the watch. Then the wear application, watch settings and update watch software will be enabled.
0 Likes
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
No power savings on, as mentioned the update wants to update over BT instead of WiFi/Mobile.
0 Likes
PawPaw
Pathfinder
Options
I agree 👍
0 Likes