Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't kayaking or canoeing record GPS location data?

(Topic created on: 22-08-2022 03:59 PM)
BobMoss
Apprentice
Options

When using the Samsung Health app on my new Galaxy Watch 5 Pro, if I select Kayaking or canoeing it doesn't use the GPS to record my location. Walking, hiking, cycling and even outdoor swimming does, but not kayaking.

Why on earth would you NOT want to record your location, distance travelled, speed etc. Do the developers think kayaking is an indoor sport?

If I start it on my phone it seems to record the GPS location OK.

I've seen a few people over the years asked on various forums about this but it's never been fixed.

How do we get a message to the developers and request they add this?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
arjan12
First Poster
Options

It's a pain, I ended up using strava to record my kayaking

0 Likes
Buzzyfool
First Poster
Options
Have that problem in Cornwall in the UK, ware ever you go can't get any sat navigation to work.
0 Likes
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
I have requested SUP to be added with distance tracking enabled to Samsung Health. Annoying as I have to currently track it as rafting on my Watch 4 to be able to record HR and calories burned and at the same time track it on my phone using strava to get distance and speed etc.
BobMoss
Apprentice
Options
I gave Strava a try, but you can't select kayaking on their watch app, only in their phone app.
BobMoss
Apprentice
Options
It's not an issue with GPS reception, it's that they haven't enabled GPS tracking in the kayaking activity.
0 Likes
BobMoss
Apprentice
Options
It's really annoying! I have to use cycling so it will track distance. Looks really odd looking at route maps showing you were cycling in the sea!
arjan12
First Poster
Options

Yes, but I generally have my phone with me anyway and I look at it after I get home, I do however run my phone at kayaking excercise so I can get some info looking at my wrist.

0 Likes
Whipnet
Apprentice
Options

It works on Watch2 and 3. This has been an issue since the 4 came out.  I have to put on my older watches to get this to work even though it's recorded through the phone app.  Samsung doesn't seem to care.

Members_FklG4W3
Student
Options

Another year gone and still seems like its not working. How is this even possible? I bought the watch to replace my Suunto but with these, pretty easy to fix issues (at least i assume so) I might skip Samsung and get back to a proper training watch almost only based on the lack of Customer service from samsung. 

0 Likes