Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Watch 6: Gmail app requires re-authentication?

(Topic created on: 05-03-2024 08:08 PM)
jeffmoo
Explorer
Options

On my new Watch 6, the apps for Google Calendar and Google Contacts open with their content.

But whenever I tap on the app Gmail, it shows the message "Authentication is required. You need to sign into your Google account", but the "Re-authenticate" button below that does nothing.

Google Play Services in my Android phone has all the permissions.

So how would I use Gmail on my watch?

Thanks

0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
jeffmoo
Explorer
Options

It seems the reason for this issue is that my email address is not using @gmail.com. I have my own domain. 

To be clear, this address is a Google account. I am able to use the Gmail app and all the other Google apps on my Android phone using this email address. And this is the Google account that is used in my phone, in the Wear app, and on the watch. It is also the Google account in the Play app and Assistant app in the watch.

But for reasons I do not understand, the Google apps relating to Workspace (Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Keep) do not accept a non-gmail.com address. There are many businesses and organizations that use Google Workspace with their own domains in their addresses, and all their employees cannot use these apps in a WearOS device.

This is incredibly short-sighted and restrictive by Google. It makes the WearOS device much less useful and much less competitive versus the Apple offering.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
toansof
Apprentice
Options

Hi Jeff,

The instruction is for WearOs. I myself succesfully added my domain Google Workspace account to my Galaxy Watch 6.

It clearly mentioned here.

The problem with your organization is that everyone can access company's data and sync with their WearOS devices.

View solution in context

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
UNKNOWNUSERNAME
Big Cheese
Options
You could try uninstalling the app/ force stopping it.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@jeffmoo: Please try heading to Settings > Accounts and backup > Accounts > Google, and make sure that the Google account on your connected phone is registered to your Watch. This can also be achieved by heading to Settings > Google > Accounts. Let me know if this helps. 

0 Likes
jeffmoo
Explorer
Options

Hi Andrew

Thank you for assisting. Yes the Google account is fully working on my Android phone and this is what is registered for my watch. 

Like I described, other Google apps are working for that same Google account. But Gmail is not. I've uninstalled it and re-installed, and this error is still showing up.

TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
Have you checked on your watch if you have any app updates waiting via Google play store? On the actual watch itself?
0 Likes
jeffmoo
Explorer
Options

I've had a continuous notification on the watch "Account action required" with my email address. When I tap it, it shows a button "Open app", and nothing happens when I tap this button.

Could there be a setting or permission somewhere that is causing this nonsense?

TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
Are you sure something isn't opening on your phone when you tap it?
0 Likes
jeffmoo
Explorer
Options

That's correct. Nothing is happening on the phone when I tap this button

TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
This is a solution i used some time ago, it might help you too?Or you can try deleting your Google account from your watch and readding it? To fix the issue I added another Google account to the watch (Galaxy Wearable phone app/Watch settings/Accounts and backup/Google account/Add Google account), removed my original account (also done on the Galaxy Wearable phone app in the same location mentioned), add the original account back, and remove the new account.

The notification went away right after removing the account and did not reappear after readding the original account. All settings, apps, etc. remained the same on the watch when doing this process.

0 Likes
TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
Let me know if this works for you?
0 Likes