Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking duration and distance of open water swimming for Galaxy Active2

(Topic created on: 23-05-2020 03:52 AM)
GREGGPLU
Journeyman
Options

I've been using the watch to track my pool swim workouts but since all of the pools are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I am thinking of buying a wetsuit and swimming in the lake.

When doing an open water swimming workout will the Galaxy Active2 watch track the distance  (GPS) along with duration and heart rate, etc.?

The reason I'm asking is that I used the 'open water swimming' method to track a kayaking workout since kayaking isn't a listed workout on my watch. The workout only recorded the duration and heart rate. It only showed 0 m for distance. This needs to be fixed unless there's some reason the GPS feature can't be used while swimming.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Jb67
First Poster
Options

Yeah I bought this watch for pool and ocean swimming, works great in pool and okay in ocean but No GPS mapping which really annoying GPS indicator is on but not mapping, need to grab a Garmin I guess. 

0 Likes
GREGGPLU
Journeyman
Options

I no longer recommend this watch for anything water-related -- swimming, walking in the rain, boating, etc. Even though they say these are water-resistant to 5 ATM, meaning it should be able to withstand splashes, rainfall, showering, and swimming, it's not. 

read this thread (mine is the first reply) for just one example of the problems with this watch

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/galaxy-watch-died-after-7-months-all-corroded-inside-a...

My summary is I used it during an open-water swim. After finishing, I looked at my watch and the screen was blank. It was dead. I contacted Samsung customer service, they said to send it in for repair (it was still under warranty). A few days later, Samsung notified me that the watch stopped working due to water damage, which is not covered under the warranty. The cost to repair was fairly close to the price of a new watch. Since I didn't do anything out of the ordinary (other than swim), I decided I couldn't trust buying any of their watches for swimming, if they wouldn't warranty them for water damaged caused by swimming. I will never buy another Samsung product because of their terrible customer service (I had a similarly bad experience dealing with Samsung regarding a non-working ice maker in my 'still under warranty' refrigerator).

I've since purchased a Garmin Swim 2. So far, so good. It's not fancy and the lap counting isn't 100% accurate but it's close enough. I'm not training for competitions, so I'm happy that it can get really close. It also works well for open-water swimming. The GPS works pretty well for me.

0 Likes