Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still problem with Alti-Barometer

(Topic created on: 25-11-2019 05:43 PM)
pkylle
Explorer
Options

I just received the update to Alti-Barometer (1.2.22), but it still suffers from a fixed offset error of approx 6hPa that cannot be corrected. (The pressure/barometer is precise but not accurate)
Why can't we get an option to add a correction to the measured value? That would improve the value immensely.
The fixed offset error places me approx 30 m lower than the correct altitude when calibrated (the difference between sea level pressure and measured pressure at the altitude of me (and my watch)).

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
BuyersReport
Apprentice
Options

Have you found this discrepancy changes according to how high above sea level you are when you make the measurement?

0 Likes
pkylle
Explorer
Options

No, the discrepancy seems to be a fixed value of approx 6hPa. This value corresponds to the difference between readouts on the watch and my phone. My phone returns the (almost) correct value.
That is why the height (altitude) is always off by about 30 m when calibrated (the difference between sea level pressure and measured pressure at the altitude of me (and my watch)).

0 Likes
BuyersReport
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for that update. That tells me the watch is only showing you the raw pressure the sensor measures. The higher you go, the worse it gets. Try that out when you can and let me know if you can confirm it.

Meantime, has Samsung ever contacted you about resolving the problem?

0 Likes
pkylle
Explorer
Options

The sensor should give the (raw) pressure at any given height. So the higher you go the lower the pressure. But in my case, the readout is always off by a fixed amount. So when receiving (calibrating) a reference value of the pressure at sea level (e.g. from a nearby airport) and the app calculates the current height from the difference between the (raw) sensor measure and the reference value and it gets wrong by the corresponding value of the fixed offset error. In my case, the 30 m ~ 3.6 hPa. Pressure difference to height being 0.12 hPa/m. (I previously wrote the error being 6 hPa but it is closer to 3.6 hPa)

No, Samsung has never contacted me about resolving the problem. The problem could easily be corrected by adding an option in settings to add a "corrective value" to the sensor measurements. 

0 Likes