Original topic:

Something is rapidly draining the battery of my Gear S3 Frontier

(Topic created on: 03/01/19 22:36)
RedWolf
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Dear All, 

When I first got my Gear S3 Frontier, I was very happy with the watch.  A charge of the battery used to last me at least three days, and that was fine by me.  Then suddenly, the battery started being completely drained within about 10 hours.  

I thought that probably I have a power-hungry app installed, did a reset, install only trusted apps I have been using for a long time, and everything seemed fine again, battery lasts three days.  I thought at the time that the issue had been resolved. 

However, a few days later, the same thing happens again... and again... and again...  ever more frequently...  it seems to happen particularly after episodes of the watch having lost BlueTooth Connection to the phone, e.g. because of having been in airplane mode -- I travel a lot.  On a side note, I also have the BlueTooth reconnection issue that is being dealt with in a different thread, and may or may not be related. 

I have had the S3 Frontier now for about 7 months, and it has now become virtually impossible to use it for a full day.  Even resets no longer resolve the issue.  I have done a reset and not installed *any* apps, and yet the battery lasted only 10 hours(ish), so it's not just one dodgy app... 

Anyone any ideas...?

81 REPLIES 81
decoo
First Poster
Options
Wearables

Install plugin 2.2.03.18101561 from mirror site and problem is solved. Back to 2-3 days of battery life.

0 Likes
Shazam0527
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I was a diehard fan of Samsung until I got the Gear S3 - The watch "charges" to 100%, the second I take it off the base, it drops immediately to 97%.  This morning I wore it for 3 hours, and I just got the "Warning, battery low, change to save mode?" alert.

I'll never buy another Samsung product again.

0 Likes
Shazam0527
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

What plugin are you referring to and how do we find it?

0 Likes
PRSSD
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Tried the plugin, didn't help, even reset the watch and re-added it. Battery drains at the rate of about 6%-6.5% an hour, and that is with no apps, default faces, gestures turned off, no notifications (all turned off) etc.

I used to use their phones, and typically have loved their products, but this is really leaving a bad taste, so much so I bought a non-Samsung phone last month and have my doubts I will go back to them. 

Going to try the warranty route to see if they can do something with it, even in stand-alone mode the battery has the same issue.

PRSSD
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Well, let the battery drain completely. Let it sit for half a day (make sure it is fully drained) then charge it again.

After this, mine is working normally once again, at least for now. 

0 Likes
Chrisg81983
First Poster
Options
Wearables

@andyfdo wrote:

Since latest update installed on my S3 frontier im not even getting 15 hours, comeon samsung sort it out

I wish I got 15 hrs of battery life. I am lucky Kyle if I get 2hrs. If I use it it's dead in 20 min.

Beev
First Poster
Options
Wearables
It's your battery. Overtime batteries do degrade and depending on how often and when u charge it will also factor into the life of the battery. I'd recommend having an expert install a new one or upgrading your watch. I just got a new frontier s3. Works great! If I still love your watch just get your battery replaced.
DB
0 Likes
PRSSD
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I doubt it is the battery, as I have been getting 4 days per charge now. I feel it is a hardware issue in the charging system that doesn't resolve until there is no juice left in the battery, drains fully and corrects itself due to the drain. Battery would drop even when unit is turned off which means something is pulling power from it while off, and the only thing I can think of that might do that is the charging system that is always active with the battery.

0 Likes
Shazam0527
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I think you might be on to something here..  If my watch is put on the stand at night while still having a few % power.  It will eventually give a flashing red light like it's not charging.

If I pick it up, and put it back down on the charger, it starts charging again.  When I take it off the base the next morning it says 100% right away, then flashes and goes to 92% (or so) and only lasts a couple hours.

If I leave it on the charger without resetting it, and it drains and shuts off, the next morning the power is 100% and it lasts all day long.  

There is definitely a pattern here!  Samsung needs to address this!

0 Likes
Blackforge
First Poster
Options
Wearables

I had the battery and main borad replaced in november as the samung support store stated it was an issue with them..

However i charged my watch yesterday as it was completely discharged and the battery ran down in 16 hours....

0 Likes
JJ84
Observer
Options
Wearables

I just go and buy a new one

0 Likes
remhiker
First Poster
Options
Wearables
I have had my G3 for three years. The best watch ever made. Only since the last update in December / January 2018 /2019 has my gone to 10 or less hour's. I have turned of lactation, WIFI, and still same battery use. Help!
LorneInKelowna
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

It would be great if Samsung could actually respond on this thread that they know of the issue and are working on it and will push out a fix with an upcoming update.  I have noticed my Samsung Health is what is showing as being the very significant drain on battery.  I have done hard reboot, I have unlinked and reminded phone to watch and I have even shut down pretty well all settings for the health aspect of the watch, which I shouldn’t have to do since those are all the reasons to own the watch!!

i also put it on to power save mode for a day and that did seem to result in a bit more time before battery was in desperate mode.  Again, should not need to do these measures just to get a full day out of watch that was supposed to be getting at least three days easily during all the promos on watch when released... I am holding out hope Samsung has this under control and will be pushing something out to us ‘gearheads’...

0 Likes
LorneInKelowna
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Very odd... I charged to 100% before bed.  In morning down to 64% which is better than it has been in recent weeks... I have made no changes to settings but did a hard reboot again as it ran out of juice mid day.  So not sure if a full discharge has helped it or one further reboot.  I am not sure the level of discharge overnight is great still, given no real activity or watch face discharge but it is better than it has been lately.  When I look at battery stats, the highest drain is from watch face, not health, so that is a switch... and odd since I made no recent changes to settings.  Samsung is working on an overall fix so each day is not a ‘discovery’ I hope...

0 Likes
LorneInKelowna
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
So, just checked on Gear and noticed there is a software update. Downloaded and doing update now. I guess I will need to wait a day of use now and will report back with any better battery life.
0 Likes
LorneInKelowna
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
I am just over 20hrs on my Gear S3 Frontier. That is longest in a while. I am at 7% now so only showing I will get 2 more hrs on this charge. My activity has not been high and I am not fully using all of the features. I did my workout yesterday before charging so thinking I would not have enough charge for that as well. Looks like I will still need to charge morning and evening, but at least it looks like I can now make it through a day. I think Samsung has done something with the latest update but definitely still not as long of use as in its earlier days before various updates that I think reduced its life for each charge. If anyone has any proven adjustments that could help it last more than a day on a charge, please share.
0 Likes
samuelr
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I have noticed that If battery goes totally empty, then the watch thinks that it has about 75-85% battery left. And then it will charge only 25-15%. The watch is showing that it has 100% battery left. But actually there is about 20% left. So If you put the watch in the charger when it showing 10% battery left, you get better battery life.

LorneInKelowna
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
Very odd. I think this happened to me. I had about 90% left last night but thought I would charge before bed to ensure 100% and not as much to charge in morning (the workarounds we build into our lives for this hunk of junk!). Anyhow, I get up this morning, put my watch on and go for walk. Get home and realize watch is off. I reboot it and it comes up as 21%. It must have gone into shutdown mode overnight. Strange thing is the night before I woke up to 71% charge so I know in general I do not lose 80% overnight. Might be something to this theory about what charge level should be at before putting it on dock. This adds another element of complexity to ensuring I always have a watch ready with enough charge to last at least 12 hours... Samsung, please look into this and send out a fix... I think we are getting to the potential root of the problem...
Xenogobic
Options
Wearables

Been using gear S2 for like 3 years and it work really great. i just bought my S3 last month, and been struggling with this battery issue. I put my S3 off last night after i charged it to 100percent, this morning i turn on the s3 and the battery is fall to 68percent. Wtf Samsung!!