Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Watch 4 LTE - Overheating issues

(Topic created on: 08-01-2022 12:30 PM)
sempron79
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I'm the owner of a Samsung Watch 4 LTE edition. Besides Gpay issue that I raised on a different post, I'm also experiencing another problem, that it seems is a common issue and has been raised by users of Samsung Watch 4 LTE on different countries i.e. overheating problem when the watch is used as standalone, not connected to the phone.

I also exercised the overheating issue when I used the watch not connected to the phone (I have number sharing service activated on the watch), all was good when 4G signal is good, I was able to receive calls on the watch without having the phone with me, but always when I enter in areas with weak signal, I believe the watch is starting to search for a better signal and it gets very warm, so it enters in airplane mode, and after a few seconds it shutdowns.

This issue is quite annoying and has been raised by many users on different countries, and so far, Samsung didn't sent any software update to fix this problem.

Honestly, not being able to make payments using Gpay on the watch (see another post on this matter), together with the overheating issue when using the watch in standalone mode, without the phone, these make the Watch 4 LTE edition watch to look more like a smartfit bracelet, not as a smartwatch as has been currently labeled.

55 REPLIES 55
emacinnes
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue with my Watch4, purchased a few weeks ago. I can't use Spotify with any un-downloaded playlist, as well as exercise tracking and bluetooth headphones at the same time. Would highly recommend anyone struggling with this to at least get the spotify playlist downloaded ahead of time. I have to use already-downloaded playlists and disable the LTE until "needed", or it overheats every  ~6 minutes. 

Definitely need to also disable WiFi at the same time too, and reduce the brightness. Basically turn everything off not important for exercising.

Stoleriko
Pioneer
Options

I keep advising people I know NOT to buy this watch, at least not the LTE version cos' it's useless and a waste of money!

DjHellraiser
Student
Options

I am having this same issue with overheating, but I only need to be downstairs and away from my phone for about 3 minutes before it tells me it is overheating and goes into emergency mode to cool down. Does anyone know how to fix this?

TiagoPF
Apprentice
Options

Sorry man, Samsung doesn't seem to care about people who wants to use their Galaxy Watch as a standalone device. Simple bugs like the annoying volume that goes down every time you reach a kilometer or mile are never fixed. I don't expect Samsung to ever fix this, they don't even acknowledge it.

I constantly use my watch with LTE off. I turn it on only when I really need it. You can still receive and make calls while LTE is off, just like in your phone.

If you really need LTE, I advise changing ecosystems and going to Apple. Something like this would never happen there.

0 Likes
Six8Lima
First Poster
Options

Just got a Samsung Galaxy 4 classic and I'm here so yeah, there's a widespread problem with these watches. First bike ride I go on without phone, watch overheats, airplane mode, useless. My active 2 never had these problems. So far the galaxy 4 is a piece of junk.

DjHellraiser
Student
Options

I am still waiting for someone from Samsung to comment or reply on this thread. It is terrible customer service on behalf of Samsung, it is almost like they are waiting for many of the people's warranty to run past the 12 month point who purchased their Galaxy Watch 4 LTE model in late August/early September 2021, because then they do not have to address the issue at all. I purchased mine directly from Samsung and it was a huge purchase for me, as a student who does not have a lot of money, spending over 500 dollars (AUD) was a lot, and I have had nothing but problems since I got it, and either no customer service, or extremely rude replies when I have asked basic questions in relation to the watch. I have the same problem as you, and mine occurs when I just walk out of Bluetooth range for a minute; within literally a minute of being out of range, it overheats, goes into emergency/airplane mode, and takes about 5 minutes to go back to normal. I have to keep my watch on power saving all the time too just to get around 2 days of battery life out of it, and I don't even have any apps running apart from the basic stock ones. If I turn on anything like LTE connectivity, WiFi, or use any third party apps like YouTube Music etc, I am lucky to get a day of battery life out of it. The biggest insult was a response by one Samsung moderator on the community somewhere telling me that I can soon upgrade and purchase the LTE version of the watch 5 when it is released in a month or two because it will have better battery and shouldn't overheat; so they acknowledged the problems people are having, but instead of even attempting to discuss the issue or provide any type of good customer service, they told me I can toss this one and pay more money for the watch 5 LTE model (which from all reports will be significantly more expensive than the watch 4). I have been a Samsung customer since the Galaxy S2, and had numerous handsets and smart watches and that is how they speak to their customers!? I am hoping someone from Samsung will acknowledge and reply to our issues on this thread, because after almost a year since the release, they should either have a fix they can send out in an update, or some type of program available for Samsung Watch 4 LTE owners to swap their obviously faulty devices for the watch 5 LTE model when it is released for a substantially discounted price. That would be proper customer service. @M_PL 

Can anyone tag Samsung in this thread? I have tagged a moderator so they can hopefully either address the problem or tag someone else that can.

AntS
Options

Hi all,

The team here are UK/Ireland based, so we're limited in what we can do for overseas folks, and the following may not apply in your situation.

For software issues, it's best to send an error report with log files for our developers to analyse and hopefully produce a quicker and effective fix. The more folks who send log files on an issue, the better.

More guidance for sending error reports for Samsung Wearables here: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-send-an-error-report/

But simply put, as soon as you notice the issue:

1. Launch the Galaxy Wearable app and tap the 'more' icon (3 lines) on left-top side.
2. Tap 'Contact us' and then tap 'Error reports'.
3. Select device > [select the relevant device] > Next.
4. Describe the problem accurately and in detail.
5. Make sure 'send system log data' is ticked.
6. SEND (>)

If you more suspect it's a hardware issue, then please get your smartwatch checked out by one of our approved Support Centres: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/repair/  or https://www.samsung.com/ie/support/repair/ 

For overseas folks experiencing this issue, I'd advise getting in touch with your local Samsung Support for further advice that's best for where you are.

0 Likes
Hoppsie
First Poster
Options

same problem here ... just bought the LTE version of the watch and cant run LTE for more than 5 minutes. What a joke. I really hope i dont need the emergency call function and the watch keeps telling me: "cool down my boy, cool down ". 

0 Likes
Getafix800
Student
Options

I have the same issue with Galaxy watch 4 LTE.

When I'm walking with the watch without my phone, after listening to two songs in Spotify via LTE streaming, the watch is overheating and moves to airplane mode! 

This is outrageous!

I bought the LTE version of the watch so that I can go do my sports without my phone, and stream music while I am at it, only to find out that it's too much for this watch!

Samsung, wake up!

I need a fix ASAP or this would the last samsung device I am buying in this lifetime. 

Nmaccann
Explorer
Options

Has anyone actually had an answer from Samsung about this or are they just ignoring it is a problem?