Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch Floor Count Issues

(Topic created on: 17-07-2019 02:25 PM)
Venison_2103
Apprentice
Options

I've seen loads of threads complaining about inconsistencies in the floor counting on Galaxy watches; all of them seem to be unsolved (asides from Samsung's poor effort at just telling its users to reset, recallibrate and refresh everything (oldest story in the book), standard I.T. bod "turn it off and on" rubbish :D)!!

Haven't had time to look through all the threads to see if someone has spotted a fix, so this might have already been talked about...but, I think I may have cracked it!

If you go into the "Alti-Barometer" app through the watch, when it's on the "Altimeter" screen you'll see a last refreshed status at the bottom. If that hasn't been refreshed for a while, the watch will either assume you're much lower than you currently are (which would give wildly high floor count reads) or much higher than you currently are (giving no reads at all for climbing stairs or going up a hill!). Scroll over to the 3rd page in the app (past the "Barometer" page) and you should see a list of settings; click on "CHANGE" and make sure you turn on "Auto refresh". Et voila!

This has worked for me...I hope it brings solice to all you other Galaxy Watch users :smiling-face:

23 REPLIES 23
Members_INMWxFA
Journeyman
Options

As per my post, the floor is just short of 9 ft so it does not record it as one floor. I just shared a workaround that I found to count my floor so shared it with all. I agree it should track it automatically but will have to wait for Samsung to come out with a credible solution for this

0 Likes
JeanChang
Apprentice
Options

I do not see any "Alti-Barometer" app on my watch. It does not appear in apps on the Gear app on the phone either.

0 Likes
Members_INMWxFA
Journeyman
Options

That's fine. Try to do what I mentioned without calibrating the app - you should still have the floor count resolved. Just a temporary workaround till samung comes up with a credible solution

0 Likes
tsmith3711
First Poster
Options

I ended up manually calibrating the watch.  Only thing that worked.

0 Likes
JeanChang
Apprentice
Options

tsmith3711, can you please give the exact steps you did to calibrate the watch? I don't see anything on the watch or the app that says "calibrate." Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
Members_INMWxFA
Journeyman
Options

It's simple. Download the alti-barometer app, open the app and hit the calibrate button within it

Members_CSTg9AO
Student
Options

I have tires jumping with my hand up and when I get to the bottom touching the floor with my watch hand... Still zero floors registered!!!

0 Likes
JeanChang
Apprentice
Options

I downloaded the alti-barometer app, calibrated it, but it still does not count any floors.

0 Likes
Members_INMWxFA
Journeyman
Options

As per my previous post, the floor should be more than 9 ft high so it can record one floor when you reach the top. If you floor is less than 9 ft, then go up and raise your watch arm so you trick the system to count one floor. I have been doing this successfully since I purchased this watch and found this trick because my floor is slightly less than 9ft so when I raise my hand when I reach the top, it treats is as 11 ft (and counts a floor) because my hand is 2 ft long. You need to keep moving your watch arm freely which you climb. Ideally, it should track it automatically but will have to wait for Samsung to come out with a credible solution for this.

0 Likes
JeanChang
Apprentice
Options

Yes, I did that, but it is only a workaround, and a way to feel really stupid when I'm at work. I just downloaded the new update from Samsung yesterday, and had hoped they would have fixed this by now, but not only did it not get fixed, but they still have not rolled out the blood pressure app that was advertised as part of the watch's features. I tried that "My BP app", but it was less than useless.  No matter how many times I calibrated, it was completely inaccurate, and most times just didn't function at all.  I'm starting to regret switching from Fitbit to Samsung.

0 Likes