Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch Floor Count Issues

(Topic created on: 23-01-2020 12:40 AM)
Venison_2103
Apprentice
Options

I've seen loads of threads complaining about inconsistencies in the floor counting on Galaxy watches; all of them seem to be unsolved (asides from Samsung's poor effort at just telling its users to reset, recallibrate and refresh everything (oldest story in the book), standard I.T. bod "turn it off and on" rubbish :D)!!

Haven't had time to look through all the threads to see if someone has spotted a fix, so this might have already been talked about...but, I think I may have cracked it!

If you go into the "Alti-Barometer" app through the watch, when it's on the "Altimeter" screen you'll see a last refreshed status at the bottom. If that hasn't been refreshed for a while, the watch will either assume you're much lower than you currently are (which would give wildly high floor count reads) or much higher than you currently are (giving no reads at all for climbing stairs or going up a hill!). Scroll over to the 3rd page in the app (past the "Barometer" page) and you should see a list of settings; click on "CHANGE" and make sure you turn on "Auto refresh". Et voila!

This has worked for me...I hope it brings solice to all you other Galaxy Watch users :smiling-face:

23 REPLIES 23
MarsBars
Student
Options

I downloaded the Alti Barometer and this hasn't fixed the issue. My app logs flights climbed on my phone but doesn't sync up with the watch face. I've had the Galaxy Acrive 2 for two days and frustrated as all get out. This is not a fitness tracker. I've been wearing my trusted Fitbit during this time and the difference in stats is staggering. I like the Samsung design so I'll keep it for casual wear, but definitely won't be counting on it as a fitness companion. 

pistachio
First Poster
Options

Noticed that after setting the altimeter at the lowest level of my home it requires an elevation climb of 4 meters to register as 1 floor climbed. That is just over 13 feet is necessary to read as a single floor climbed.

0 Likes
MarsBars
Student
Options

@pistachio wrote:

Noticed that after setting the altimeter at the lowest level of my home it requires an elevation climb of 4 meters to register as 1 floor climbed. That is just over 13 feet is necessary to read as a single floor climbed.

Hi Pistacio,  I measured my flight of stairs at 14 feet from first floor to top. Ultimately I ended up returning the Galaxy and purchasing Apple Watch series 5 because I'm an Apple phone user and the Apple Watch is logging all floors the same as my Fitbit. Perhaps Galaxy simply isn't compatible with Apple products. Although after reading many complaints in this forum wonder if Samsung simply is lacking in the technology. I also like having ECG readily available with fall detection too. I'm happy with my Apple product versus the Galaxy but again maybe this would have been a different outcome had I owned an android phone. 

0 Likes
Ceebee59
Journeyman
Options
my watch says I've been up 31 floors, I live in a bungalow, it's a joke and needs updating
0 Likes
jimmieholman
Apprentice
Options

that has helped .... but Samsung appears to be as incompetent as ever. The problem continues release after release and (especially) technical support is a futile effort.  Somewhat similar to CeeBee59's experience ... i was moving my office and was up and down the stairs WELL OVER 30 times .... the watch counted 3.  With inaccuracies like this, and technical support that isn't even as good as user's (more qualified) speculation .... it makes one wonder ..... what in the he!! are they doing there.  Is supporting incompetent staff what is really what causes these prices to be a premium???  Venison_2013's post is the FIRST logical post on the problem I have seen in years. So far it seems to make a difference. Samsung Support ...You should be ashamed you didn't post YEARS AGO.                

0 Likes
Marnakeus
First Poster
Options

Genius! You should get a paycheck from Samsung for this tutorial on how to fix this annoying issue! No one at Samsung has been anywhere close to a solution. And here you are. 😁

Members_c1cOxAX
First Poster
Options

Will this eliminate the need to do a Mexican wave at the top of the stairs to get a floor count lol!!

Members_INMWxFA
Journeyman
Options

I have cracked it finally. The floor counter will increment by 1 only if we climb more than 9 ft. My floor has 13 steps which measures slightly less than 9ft so what I did was,

1. Calibrate my alti-barometer

2. Simply started from the bottom of the floor, climbed as normal by making hand movements all the way to the top and then lifted my hand where I wore my watch. The lifting of the hand is important to trick the software that I have climbed more than 9 ft and had to do this because my floor was slightly less than 9 ft

MrsDowFire
First Poster
Options

Why should I have to lift the hand I wear my watch for this to record a floor?  I don't call this a good solution and want a fix for this problem.  I consider myself a power user and want all health app functions to work properly.  Please get this fixed.....before I completely go to Apple.  

0 Likes