Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Watch always on display not working

(Topic created on: 22-12-2018 09:04 PM)
Hammerxc
Journeyman
Options

I have the larger Galaxy Watch. When set to watch always on the display still times out and falls asleep. Confirmed it is set to watch always on both in setting and quick setting screen showing blue dot for always on. Is my watch defective?

Go to solution
77 REPLIES 77
ByeToJunk
First Poster
Options

I too have this issue, tried all above. To me, it's just sloppy programming and I note samsung rarely bother listening to their users and why do they have such a useless app? I've seen $40 watches with great apps and who don't rely on third party developers., just a cheap and arrogant corporate! For this reason and many other irritations I'm disposing of it.

0 Likes
D-money
First Poster
Options

Ok, so it looks like there are multiple causes. Yes, check to make sure Goodnight and Theatre mode are off. But those weren't my problems, and I put too much time into customizing the settings and app/shortcut layouts to reset it, so I was NOT about to reset everything.

I actually fixed this using a different watch band. If the sensor isn't consistently in contact with your actual skin, the programming assumes it's because you aren't actually wearing the watch, so it turns off AOD to conserve battery. So if your band is either too loose, fits your wrist poorly, or (as was the case for me) you're using a band which places a barrier between your wrist and the sensor (I have this black leather band with that issue, pic attached), then AOD will not work. Reset it and fiddle with the settings all you like - it will keep assuming you aren't actually wearing it. No settings, apps, or others things were changed between these two pics - I just swapped out the watch band.

Samsung, if you're listening, this is a classic, presumptuous, non-human-centered design flaw. Dorks like us want to wear it how we want to wear it, and you'd have more content customers if your features worked consistently with users' different fashion choices. I can think of two easy ways for you to fix this in future updates: 1) lose this automatic "smart" disabling of AOD based on the often false assumption that a lack of skin contact with the watch underside means someone isn't wearing it - seriously, is this automatic disabling of AOD doing anyone any actual good?; 2) add another option within the AOD controls that allows goths (and others) like me to keep AOD on at all times, regardless of skin contact, fit, or watch band choice - this would make everyone happy.

20210111_222503.jpg

20210111_223930.jpg

Andazhaider
First Poster
Options

Hi there! Bro just wear your watch and see Always on display will be there and if you remove your watch from your wrist then the Always on display won't be there the reason you aren't using the watch, thanks

0 Likes
Chromebook
First Poster
Options

I use my watch as a timer while on the cradle - not on my arm. Mediocre technology at its worst.

0 Likes
Rachid71
First Poster
Options

for my case it was the Camera Controller app the thing that looks like cinema icon, if enabled always on display is not working disable it and all back to normal.

0 Likes
Iggey
First Poster
Options

You will find if theater mode is active on the watch it will turn itself off. Just double check that is deactivated and it should work 

0 Likes
JohnCA
First Poster
Options

I tried many other options suggested in this post. Even uninstalled the wearable app on my phone. But now noticed that if the watch is on my wrist, AOD is working fine. But as soon as I remove it, AOD stops working and screen goes black. This has started happening since I have installed latest update on May 6th, 2023.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@JohnCA: From what I understand, the Always On Display is only designed to keep the screen on while you're wearing the Watch. This is likely to be a power-saving feature, however I do appreciate that it may not be ideal under some circumstances. 

0 Likes