Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross-country skiing on watch works without GPS

(Topic created on: 06-12-2021 12:22 PM)
Jaanus09
Apprentice
Options

Cross-country skiing is finally available on Galaxy watch - unfortunately this is useless because it does not support GPS tracking.  If I use cross-country skiing on phone  - it works with GPS.
When using watch - GPS is not activated for some reason,  so this feature is useless because track profile data and distance is also needed - not just basic calories and heart rate.

19 REPLIES 19
bthoem
Apprentice
Options

Just downloaded the update today and can confirm that this is now fixed.

RRisto
Student
Options

Thank you Samsung. Problem seems to be fixed.

Eivij
Student
Options

Its been fixed!! Works with GPS now! Wee!

Jaanus09
Apprentice
Options

Finally back on snow and I did some tests.
Good news is that GPS data is available in skiing workout now. 
But I would not say that this is finally fixed -  in comparison with other programs there are features missing.
During workout I can't see my speed and distance data - seems like watch stores it, but it is not available for cross-country watch display during workout.
What is your experience so far? Is it same or this is caused by my language /  region settings?

0 Likes
Jüri
Student
Options

Hello
I finished Tartu Maraton last week and used Samsung Galaxy watch 4 for tracking. Sorry Jaanus, I can not say anything about the watch during workout because I did not check it during the maraton. I would like to see max speed in the summary of workout and also avarage speed on the graph. I liked that the watch used only 45%+ of the battery during a 6h+ workout. In the future would be greate to have some data export possibilities in the app as some virtual competitions need data exporting to fix the finishing result.

0 Likes
El Gordo
Student
Options

Thanks Jaanus09 for your  comments and especially "During workout I can't see my speed and distance data - seems like watch stores it, but it is not available for cross-country watch display during workout."  I had the same reaction.  I did the wonderful Gatineau Loppet (Quebec, Canada) last weekend and couldn't see my average speed or total distance while skiing. The running feature includes at least some of this I think.  If Samsung is listening, perhaps they could add this into the X-Country program.  Peace on earth and good skiing, from Canada.

0 Likes
Niclas_1234
Apprentice
Options

I was out skeeing today, had my Galaxy watch 4 connected to my phone all the way, 1 hour out skeeing, it noted my elevation but not distance..??? @Samsung, fix this!! People say this is fixed but no, or did the update I installed to my Samsung wearable and Galxy Watch 4 screw up the cross-country skeeing function??

0 Likes
Jaanus09
Apprentice
Options

I belive that this scenario happens when you start cross-country skiing from phone.
After last update I got same results.
If you start from phone  - then distance and speed are not recorded - somehow watch is connected, you can see that exercise is running from watch also and heart-rate moves from watch do phone.

when you start it from watch then distance is also recorded but no speed data during workout and on graphs afterwards.

0 Likes
Niclas_1234
Apprentice
Options

No, I started from my watch, same thing today, it records everything but my distance.

Screenshot_20220315-212608_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
Niclas_1234
Apprentice
Options

Screenshot_20220315-212629_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes