Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why "Host Name: localhost" ?

(Topic created on: 25-04-2020 11:45 AM)
localhost
Journeyman
Options

My Samsung UE49KU6400 is using Host Name: localhost, although in Network / Device Name is set as "Samsung 6 Series".

Why is it using the reserved name "localhost"? Doesn't Samsung know that it is not allowed to do that!

"localhost" is meant to be used only for the loopback interface!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGIMG_20180216_183041.jpgIMG_20180216_193315.jpgIMG_20180216_193332_1.jpg

38 REPLIES 38
junkfactory
First Poster
Options

Agree it's still an issue, had to assign a static ip to my samsung tv with a custom hostname as a workaround

0 Likes
Gyyggg
First Poster
Options

There is a workaround. the problem is the device name is not hostname compliant out of the box. To be a valid hostname you need to change the device name to only alphanumeric characters: a-z, 0-9. With no spaces.  The default device name usually comes with both brackets "[]" and spaces which throw it off.

vossy
First Poster
Options

Just confirming that the above suggestion (changing the name in TV) worked for me..

Noting that after changing the name to no spaces or round brackets, the TV still displayed '[TV]' in front of the name, but the router now started showing the custom name (without the '[TV]' prefix) versus 'localhost'

0 Likes
samsbk
Apprentice
Options
I tried this solution and it did not work for me.
Still broadcasting localhost hostname.
0 Likes
Wolfking
Student
Options
This is not a software bug as such it's known security glitch in Samsung screen mirroring, Samsung has known about it for some time and has been unable to rectify it, even getting the firmware fixed at service centre 2 months ago does not fix it for long and I can't cast to my tv again. What's the point of a 4k "smart tv" if it's gonna be dumb and make my entire network insecure
0 Likes
Wolfking
Student
Options

Samsung know about this "bug", however are "unable to rectify it at this time", which in in reality is just an excuse to hide how much they make by selling usage of this to 3rd parties including but not limited to, law enforcement, it is a common law enforcement backdoor into most home/small networks/homegroups/workgroups etc and often does not violate your privacy rights due to the broadcast by the tv itself due to samsung

0 Likes
localhost1
First Poster
Options

@Wolfking:

What's the difference between a bug and a glitch? At the end of the day it's an undesired side-effect.

What details do you have about this "glitch" and how does it have anything to do with the device using localhost as it's network hostname?

And how does it make "your entire network insecure"?

0 Likes
The Dingo
First Poster
Options

This suggestion did not work for me.  I have one Samsung TV about 7 years old and another about 5 years old.  They either display "local host" as the device name or display no device name on my router's network.

0 Likes
JustTim
First Poster
Options

This… is… DUMB!!!

I got a new satellite ISP when I moved and am not super tech savvy. Ever since my TV cannot connect to WiFi and this is why! 2 ***** years I have not been able to figure this out (eyeroll) 

0 Likes