Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade One Connect Box Q9FN?

(Topic created on: 27-07-2020 07:30 AM)
RAG
Apprentice
Options
When Samsung reps were trying to sell TVs over 2 years ago (JS9000, KS9000, Q9FN), they constantly sold them on the premise Samsung will release newer One Connect Boxes so, "Your TV will never go out of date."

Where is this option? Can I upgrade the One Connect Box for my 65 Q9FN so that it's HDMI ports are the newer versions found on the recent QLED models so I can FINALLY pass through Dolby Atmos from the TV!?

Surely this shouldn't be a hard thing to upgrade. Come on Samsung. Fulfill your promises...
38 REPLIES 38
dayjob
Journeyman
Options

It is identical to the last one in appearance but I can suddenly do 4k 120hz 4:2:0 when previously I could not. 

0 Likes
Neil14
First Poster
Options

How did you do this, was it through games console.  

0 Likes
dayjob
Journeyman
Options

PC via HDMI out from Nvidia 2080ti GPU. Windows display settings is all I used to go from 60hz to 120hz. 

0 Likes
Krashing
Navigator
Options

You could do this also before, maybe yours was faulty, but the hdmi 2.0b the one that is on the one connect box can manage 4K at 120hz on 4.2.0 

the issue is that this is something you can set up only on pc.. on ps5 you can go in settings and adjust color output to 4.2.0 (disable hdr and change the color format) but it won’t enable 4K 120hz 

the only thing tha nex gen console owner can do is on Xbox play in 1440p 120hz that I think it’s pretty good

or on ps5 1080p 120hz or wait for a 1440p upgrade (I don’t think it’s coming, or at least not so soon)

0 Likes
dayjob
Journeyman
Options

Thank you for this information. It is possible my previous box was faulty to begin with as I definitely have tried to max out settings previously and only game from a PC (the very same one was using on original one connect box). I simply cannot believe the TV can perform at that number and I am even using a 50' (15m) HDMI cable between the PC and the box. It is possible the cable has something to do with it also, since I am using a new cable recently purchased and certified for this bandwidth, while previous cables were only ~1 year old and certified for 2.1 but they (maybe) are not as great.

Unsure if allowed to link here but if anyone is curious my new cable is from Cable Matters and is their fiber 8k cable which should be easy to find and yes, it is costly. 

0 Likes
Rajn
First Poster
Options
Have you guys got anywhere with this. I have been experiencing the same issue with my 65js9000 series 3k TV. One connect box overheated and got burnt, and now samsung's FX Group service contractor visited and visually inspected the box, and Samsung are telling me its age related issue. First if it's age related issue, and I suspect that other 5 year old js9000 series should have experiencing the same issue then why Samsung can't make replacement one connect boxes. I am certain it's not age related issue and it's manufacturing defect. How a box can get overheated and burnt because its 5 year old. If it is then give customer the option to buy new replacement box not just force the customer to pay for repair of the box which might cost same or more to the value of new box. I agree we need to take collective step, I thin there was a class action against Samsung in US related to these one connect boxes. One connect box thing is big scam....there is no alternative or replacement for customers which is against fair play rules...
0 Likes
kingy444
First Poster
Options

'Glad' I'm not alone on this one - Purchased a Samsung Q90 75 (2019) with the promise that HDMI 2.1 was going to be supported.

This is a bit beyond a joke and not the first time Samsung have 'promised' and upgrade - i had the same promise with my 2013 65' with the (i forget the name) upgrade box that was meant to go in the back of the tv and be available every couple of years to upgrade your tv. They did make 1 (and only 1) but a vast majority of people who bought them bricked their TV

These new one-connect boxes should be able to provide 2019 tv's with the same - and honestly SAMSUNG - no one is dropping 6000 AUD on a TV in 2019 and upgrading to another in 2021 - BUT - we would be willing to drop another 500 or so on a new One-Connect that upgraded our eARC capability etc - There is nothing wrong with the panel

There is a 'big' issue here for a lot of people who wish to play 4K @ 120hz and still get full audio capabilities from their arc.

ie - if my Series X Xbox is connected directly to the receiver i can get all ranges of the audio availability (Atmos/DTX etc) but am limited to 60hz

If my Series X Xbox is connected directly to port 4 I can get 120hz but am limited to Stereo Audio.

The One-Connect Box should be able to pass the audio directly to the receiver through port 3 (Arc)

EDIT: Just adding, from this post and others around, there is plenty of complaining and zero response from SAMSUNG - worst company

An advertised feature of the 2020 Q Series is STIL... - Page 11 - Samsung Community - 1598450

Samsung Q90T HDMI 2.1 + eARC not available : 4kTV (reddit.com)

0 Likes
UKSmeagal
Explorer
Options

I got this today on a twitter message. Maybe Samsung themselves are confused about their own product?  That could be why we have had no response.

Screenshot_20220215-122307_Twitter.jpg

0 Likes
Krashing
Navigator
Options

Sorry but as far as We know this feature will never be introduced 

also that tv is great, as it is. You don’t need hdmi 2.1 I promise the game you wish to play look the same in 1080p 120hz.. I get that you would love to get 4K 120 but it is useless (I play on ps5 had 55q9fn sold it and bought 55qn95a) 

just stick with your tv, it has great blacks with the fald it has, and is also better than q95t that I had. 

0 Likes