Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Frames - Two Remotes - Multiple problems!

(Topic created on: 26-10-2022 09:28 AM)
BrontoTaurus
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone!

So.... This is a bit awkward... Being an IT-guy I took it for granted that TV's sold in 2021 operated on different remote channels (cryptographic handshake or at least the ability to manually set your own channel), but alas this turns out to not be the case!

I just bought two 65" The Frame for the family to use as a gaming setup and mounted them next to each other on the wall.... And I'm having pretty big issues with the remotes...

Initially I set up the port Frame, turned it on and then held the "back and play/pause"-buttons until a message showed up stating that the remote/TV were an item. I then did the same for the starboard Frame (with the power unplugged for the port one), and the tv/remote did a similar handshake.

So far so good. The problem of course appeared immediately; the "on/off" (or rather "on/art") buttons on both remotes controls both the TVs!

This means:

• If one Frame is ON and the other OFF they will "switch" (the on oneturns off, and the off one turns on).
  • If both Frames are OFF they both turn on.
  • If both Frames are ON they both turn off.

I have found a work-around when I just want to turn on ONE Frame by using the "home"-button instead of the on/off-toggle, as this will turn it on without affecting the other one.

However I can still not figure out how to turn OFF (meaning turn it into ART-mode showing a still picture) a single one at a time.... So if I want to turn off just one, I will have to either first turn off both Frames and then turn the other one on again by using the home-button, or I can let it sit idle showing the menu until it goes into power-saving mode 4(!) hours later... There is a third alternative and this is launching the ART-app on the TV I want to turn off, navigating through it until I find a picture I want to show and then manually selecting this... This however includes 5 button presses and is quite cumbersome to do.... Oh and yeah... Fourth alternative is turning the TV off by using the Samsung-APP on the phone, but when turned off via the app it will not go into art-mode and show a picture - one just the black screen (thus being useless for my purpose)...

I did google this yesterday and found multiple suggestions where people have designed a small plastic tube in front of the remote's IR-sensor to make the signal more directional, but there is no visible IR-sensor on these remotes. Another suggested trick was to shield the view of the "other TV" with ones hand to block the IR-signal but this doesn't work either...

So... Anyone with a decent solution for this issue?

PS: I'm still flabbergasted that this is an issue at all.... I realize that its done to reduce issues with pairing people would otherwise run into, but.... still...

BrontoTaurus_1-1618592239677.png

9 REPLIES 9
BrontoTaurus
Explorer
Options

Ok, I''m making a self-reply here so future folks looking for the same solution have somewhere to look at :smiling-face:

- The "power on/off"-button always affects both TV's, but the other buttons is linked to just one (but you must link the remotes to get this to work - see procedure at the bottom of this post).

This means that you can use the TV's independently without issues most of the time, but when wanting to turn on/off just one TV (without using HDMI CEC control) you need to shield the signal from one TV using the palm of your hand. This actually works really well with some practice. 

- The "first command" from a remote will affect both TV's if the remote has been asleep for a long time. Mind that this is just the very first command so it is not really an issue.

- Tip: Use HDMI-CEC control for turning the TV on/off if possible. 

Example: I mainly use my TV with my Xbox and I turn the system on/off by using the on/off button on my xbox controller and not the TV-remote. This totally alleviates the issue of crosstalk for me as the only command from my remote that affects both TV's are now eliminated.

Pairing remotes (when you have two TVs):

- Power on the first TV (but not the other one!).

- Start it up and hold down the start/pause + back buttons for 2-3 seconds.

- The remote will now pair with the first TV.

- Remove the power chord from the first TV, and plug in the other one.

- Repeat the pairing step for the other remote and he other TV.

Trying to pair the remotes when both TVs are powered on will result in issues (I had to factory reset both TV's as the controllers connected to the wrong/both TVs).

Wouter123jfjfdn
First Poster
Options

Great I had the same problem, thanks!

0 Likes
DonV
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the info. I was planning to buy one frame tv as a monitor for my home office but I already have a q90R in the same room so I suspect I will have the same problem, is that a correct assumption?

0 Likes
Jeranoga
First Poster
Options

I have experienced the same issue... I have multiple frame TV's setup like art work. When I press the power button on one remote they all respond. The only way I have really found to deal with the situation is to use the Smarthings app to control the TV's individually.  Dear Samsung - This whole situation is ridiculous.

Neptune2
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem with a frame 55 and a frame 65 nearby.   Incredibly poor design that has been solved for every other remote control (both RF and IR) with unique identifiers for each.   It’s a good thing this engineering group isn’t designing garage door openers!   Samsung - get your act together and fix this problem!    

Benq81
First Poster
Options

Still an issue in November of 2022!! This is insane. Pay $1,000+ for a TV and the remote control is a hinder. I have the frame next to the S95b...  same issue

0 Likes
payaso25us
First Poster
Options

not fit for purpose… s95b and freestyle crosstalking… can i return both as extremely upset… was gonna buy a washing machine but it might turn on too

0 Likes
Atoshi
First Poster
Options

Thank you!  The key really is to only have one plugged in at a time.    

0 Likes
Frame user
First Poster
Options

Same issue, thank you for the tips but still considering returning both my frames….this is ridiculous, how could Samsung just not care about this?

0 Likes