Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Frame 2019 Needs Some improvements

(Topic created on: 29-07-2019 11:03 PM)
Mike_H
Apprentice
Options

I’ve got a new 65” Frame. Lovely looking thing. I bought it as a device to display art and photography, that happens to be a TV if needed (not the other way around). There are two vital areas where some work is needed;

1. Art work is cropped when a mat/frame is applied. This is unforgivable, horrible cropping to peices of art and photographs rendering them confusing or meaningless, this really needs sorting. Especially in a device that’s USP is its ability to display art!

2. Own images/photographs can only be displayed with the light box effect. These desparately need to be available in full screen and mat mode if they reflect the native 16:9 ratio.

And then some things which would be much better if solved

3. There is too large a jump in brightness from mid point to the next one up.

4. The colour cast could do with more than just how yellow or white the image is, especially as at the higher ranges of warmth tennis ball green starts to appear.

5. It should be possible to chose saturation in art mode separate from the main picture setting on the TV side, either I have too saturated TV pictures and correct art or correctly balanced TV and washed out art/photographs. I’d rather have one less image setting type on the TV type to allow one to affect art mode only.

6. What’s the refresh rate with this? In art mode I can see flicker. It’s very distracting. I am sensitive to flicker but I don’t see it in TV mode, has this been slowed to save energy and if so can we be given the option to alter it?

At the moment I really don’t think it’s quite sorted, which is surprising for something which has been around for 4 years.

6. Not sure if this is just my setup but Bluetooth audio seems to break up in a way that doesn’t occur with my smart speakers.

I really hope you can do a bit more work on this to turn it into the great product it could and should be!

Thanks in advance.

Mike

27 REPLIES 27
tscott
Apprentice
Options

Hi Joseph,

Can you give a bit more information of what you are trying to accomplish and what problem you are seeing.  We gave a brain dump last spring (back a few postings, 21-03-2020) and have been able to make photos that fill the frame, but they have to be exactly 16 by 9.  We make them 1600 by 900 pixels.

Tom

0 Likes
bferreira
Apprentice
Options

Hello Vanden! Great job putting this together! Unfortunately for me, I don't have an Iphone (ironically I have a Samsung phone) and thus can't use it. Can you tell me (in private message if you prefer) how exactly your app achieves that?
My main goal is having the different mounts while keeping a nice resolution for my photos.
Tks!

0 Likes
vandenbrakel
Explorer
Options

I've created a (free) app to easily resize any image for the Frame. After resizing all matte styles will be availbale. Including "No Matte". (Fullscreen).

Apple Devices

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/samsung-frame-art-tool/id1539969966

Android Devices:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imakestuff.frameresize.frameresize2

bferreira
Apprentice
Options

Hi again Vanden,

I tried your app, the Android version. However, it didn't work very well.

Basically when I set any mount except shadow mount I have the result seem in my photo here. I get the mount but the photo is all black.

I can still see the photo normally in the photo collection menu and the photo can also be set without mount) entire screen.

Have you ever experienced this issue?

20210114_221742.jpg

0 Likes
vandenbrakel
Explorer
Options

Hmm, weird. Did you upload and  set the photo in the Smarthings app?

0 Likes
bferreira
Apprentice
Options

Yes, just like the app instructed me.

As an example, After doing the cropping the resulting file is 7.9mb, resolution 3840 X 2160 and the extension is PNG

I tried 4 photos, half of them taken with my phone, same result. 

0 Likes
vandenbrakel
Explorer
Options

would you mind sending me one of the resized photos. I don't have an android device myself so it's a bit harder to test. We just released it and we are keen on getting it to work for everone.

Send it to sander@vandenbrakel.nl

0 Likes
Csky
Explorer
Options

This happened to me too, before...

Do this:

Don't choose the passeportout in the app.

Just upload the image as is (indicated size) then choose passepartout and color of it in the TV. Then save (middle button). Good luck. Let me know. //CSky

0 Likes