Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spdif volume control bug

(Topic created on: 16-08-2021 07:48 PM)
SwedenGuy
Journeyman
Options

Hi have a 2020 55 Frame and a Denon AVR. As the Denon is a bit older, it does not support HDMI-ARC, so I am feeding it via spdif.

I mostly use an Apple TV for input, connected directly to the Frame.

Here’s my problem…, when I control the volume using the Apple TV remote or the Denon remote, it works flawlessly.

When I control the volume with the Frame’s remote, about half the time, it “sticks”. Meaning, if I press the volume up, then TV sends volume up to the Denon for 60 seconds. Same things for volume down.

it is actually the tv sending the signal. If I remove the batteries from the TV remote, the signal keeps going. If I hard power down the Denon and then start it again, it keeps receiving the signal until 60 seconds have passed.

I can manually turn the ***** on the Denon and keep the volume in check, but I have to jump out of the couch and keep turning it until then 60 seconds have passed.

We’ve put a ban on using the Samsung remote for volume adjustments in the house, but seems like it is a software bug.

Anyone else have this sort of problem? Any idea how to get someone qualified from Samsung to look into this?

15 REPLIES 15
Jonste
Apprentice
Options

The single vs holding down matches my experience. Good systematic approach you took. I do not doubt your findings, but I have to say it is really strange if the signal is transmitted by IR. My receiver is in a different enclosure in a solid wood cabinett with no line of sight from neither the one connect box nor the tv. It would have to be reflected off the opposite wall which is 5 meters away. That and the fact that I usually have to point the receiver remote very precisely at the receiver to use it, would mean it would take a very strong IR light to do this. Also, for ut to be a problem with all our different physical setups would probably require a very wide beam. (The trouble I have using the receiver remote is why I am so reliant on the TV controlling the volume).

I will try replicating your approach  when I am back after the weekend.

0 Likes
SwedenGuy
Journeyman
Options

That is what it seems. I triggered the bug and then tried covering the bottom of the TV and the entire external box.  Covering the TV didn't do anything, but covering the box stopped the transmission.  I have the box and the receiver on different shelves in my cabinet - must really be strong to bounce off the far wall and back again.

0 Likes
SwedenGuy
Journeyman
Options

Make sure you open a ticket and reference this thread! :smiling-face:

0 Likes
ashwinds
Explorer
Options

Hello @SW sorry about the delayed response. Where did you create a ticket? Try as I might, I am unable to find a link on Samsung's site! 

0 Likes
SwedenGuy
Journeyman
Options

i am I. Sweden. On the Swedish Samsung page, I opened a case for repair, as my TV is still under warranty…

ashwinds
Explorer
Options

Just an update:

I am using 55LS03TAK (Samsung Frame 55 inch) and today I upgraded the firmware to ver 2101.0 which was available (since Oct 13 apparently!). 

It appears to have fixed the bug. I have not tried this for too long (about 5 hrs) but I do not see it triggering in my normal use. 

0 Likes