Go to solution Solved

Setting up Samsung Remote to work with Sky Q Issue

(Topic created on: 03-01-2018 08:18 PM)
happyjckjunior
First Poster
Options

TV: UE55MU6400

Software Version: 1151

Trying to set up the Samsung Univeral Remote to control Sky Q.

When going through the set up procedure, it doesn't automatically find a Sky Q box connected via HDMI (Like it does for my Apple TV where it shows the Apple TV Logo in 'Sources'),

So I select 'New Device' > Set-top Box > 'Plugged into TV Directly' > *Enters Postcode* > Selects 'Sky HD/Sky Q NW. Eng/IoM Satellite' > Select HDMI 1 (Which Sky Q is currently plugged into)

Then the TV tried to change the channel up or down which is doesn't and after 4 tries asks for a SKy Q model number which I don't know what to look for or where to find it.

I have tried all sorts of codes I can find. Our box is made by Cisco.

Looking for some help as without setting this up, I can't get my Sonos Playbar to control the TV sound.

0 Likes
Go to solution
17 REPLIES 17
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Sometimes the quality of the HDMI can be the issue and not particularly expensive to try a new one, 2 metres really is ideal.   However will not be the solution in all cases.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Members_hqnRFT7
Student
Options

For this to work, get to the point where it asks you to press Channel up/Channel down.

When it does not work you <must> PRESS "NO"

Then press "Channel up/Channel down" again

Each time it does not work  PRESS "NO"
When you press no it automatically tries new settings.

It should find the correct settings at some point.

From the Beginning

Press Home

Go to Source

Go to Universal Remote

Delete your old Sky Device

Choose new device

Choose Set-top box

Answer the question until you get to Channel then follow the steps above.

S_J_H2020
First Poster
Options

Hi there

I have tried this upwards of 20 times and each time no joy.  I cannot work my Sky Q box with my Samsung remote.  We have the 75" Frame TV so not sure if this is a contributing factor!  

Any further suggestions welcome. 

thanks 

0 Likes
S_J_H2020
First Poster
Options

In addition to my message above -  during the 20+ times I've tried to set this up, i always get the channel to go up or down on the 4th attempt.  This makes you think that you're all set up, however when set up closes and returns to the normal view the remote does NOT control Sky Q.  Very frustrating!  

Surely there is a fix?  

Thanks

0 Likes
Solution
Lordarassen
First Poster
Options

I was having the same issue. Here is how i resolved.

When it says “displays the channel playing in the small area on the screen”, make sure its a tv channel playing not the home menu of sshowing. 

meaning on your sky tv remote if you press the +/- the channel should change. Then you should use the samsung tv remote to change the channel and it will change. 

Worthers
First Poster
Options
Wow this worked. Thanks very much. I'll be taking the credit when the wife gets home mind you!
0 Likes
Philnick
Student
Options

This worked for me. Just before taking out the HDMI I made sure that Sky was on and on a channel (as recommended by Lordrassen on the next page of this topic) and it worked perfectly.

0 Likes
Members_KGp7A4c
First Poster
Options

Hi Lordarassen, I had exactly the same problem with Cisco Sky box, and was just about to give up on my Samsung smart remote controlling my Sky Q box having tried everything else, when I seen your post. By changing the channels first with the Sky remote then enabled the Samsung smart remote to do likewise. Problem solved! Everything on the Q box is now controllable via the Smart remote. Many thanks 😊 

0 Likes