Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung UE46ES7000 - Netflix app no longer in the HUB

(Topic created on: 07-01-2024 07:07 PM)
sansenri
Journeyman
Options

since beginning of 2024 (few days ago) Netflix no longer appears in the Smart Hub.

I have the latest software installed 002023 and the support screen says there are no other updates.

I have no idea how to re-install the Netflix app, which since just a few weeks ago was working fine...

I know the TV is not very new, but it has been working fine up to now with Netflix, moreover I have other apps visible in the hub such as Amazon Prime... 

Is there a way to solve this or do I just surrender to using a chromecast?...

13 REPLIES 13
Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
It's highly possible the Netflix/Samsung license ran out. Its a 2012 model so it's definitely done it's time!
0 Likes
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Can you use Netflix via the Web?

Not the answer you wanted but as a fix?
0 Likes
sansenri
Journeyman
Options

thanks, sounds odd there would be such a time limited licence, I have no idea how it works with TVs

0 Likes
Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
Yeah each "model" has a license cost and usally once the user base is under that amount its not worth it. Happened on samsung TV in Canada a few years back. Between Samsung and Netflix they can see the usage per model and decided its not worth the work to support a 11 year old HD TV.
sansenri
Journeyman
Options

thanks, yes of course I can use Netflix on any other of my devices, phones, tablets, PCs... it just will not show up in the Smart Hub on that TV (but it was there until few weeks ago...)
I do also own a Chromecast with handset which has dedicated Netflix buttons, so if I connect that via HDMI to the TV it works, so no concerns there, it just bugs me that my perfectly OK TV despite being somewhat dated cannot access Netflix directly any longer.

Netflix is losing out here... the Chromecas now shows me all available programs from various sources, not just Netflix, but also Prime Video, Rai Play and several others, so I'm sort of not limited to Netflix with such device.
I'm just one of those people that if something does not work as before it irritates me... 🙂

0 Likes
sansenri
Journeyman
Options

I've read in another thread that Netflix might have changed the app, which may now be incompatible with my TV, being somewhat dated... so it is possibly not so much a matter of licence expiring but ruther just Netflix not bothering to ensure that the new app may also be compatible with older TVs...
I've written to their customer service, mentioning the problem and have received confirmation of receipt of my message. Let's see what they say, whether it's me not capable to find how to update the app, or them not intending to update the app for my TV due to it's age.

sansenri
Journeyman
Options

could be a licence issue, or could be a problem with not wanting to update the app for my TV model due to its age, possibly the two things are related. I've asked their Customer Service, will revert with findings when thay reply, thanks.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
I think it is likely the Tv is no longer supported,age of Tv can make licensing problematic and there are technical limitations with certain models in any case. Support for pre 2012 models was previously discontinued and the list may have been expanded. https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/netflix-discontinues-support-for-more-older-devices-on-october...
If the app has disappeared and can no longer be found via a search on store would seem to indicate an issue. In the past though advance notice was given.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
sansenri
Journeyman
Options

thanks, customer support has replied vaguely by pointing me to their page "this device is no longer supported...", however, this page mentions that I should have received a message indicating that my device is no longer supported, but I have received no such message... the Netflix app just disappeared from my TV from one day to the next...
Their support page also points to a page compatibledevices and they claim that a list of supported devices (per brand) is in that page. However there is no such list on that page, so I'm just left wondering on the fact the app no longer shows up just means my TV is no longer supported. I would not be surprised given the age of my TV, but I don't find the customer care very nice at all...