Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q85 (QE65Q85RATXXU) sound popping and cracking on external devices

(Topic created on: 27-04-2020 07:16 PM)
Rich12
Student
Options

I’m currently on my third Q85 television set and before I pack this one up and send it back I’m hoping someone can help.

I have a Samsung QLED Q85 (only available in Europe I believe) connected to an Apple TV 4K, fire stick 4K and a PS4. The sound is fine when watching terrestrial tv and using apps through the tv itself, however when watching anything through any of the three external devices the sound pops, breaks and cracks. It’s intermittent, and sometimes there’s no problem at all, but if I notice it on one device, when I switch to another I am hearing the same problem. 

I’ve called Samsung several times and they have suggested it’s a compatibility issue which I find hard to believe given the popularity of the devices I’m trying to connect (I should also say the tv has no problem recognising the devices and is able to set the correct settings on the smart remote). I’ve changed the cables (even though I was already using high spec high speed hdmi cables), tried switching devices in different ports, performed factory resets on all devices, and ensured all software is up to date but it’s still happening. It was the same issue I had with the previous television (that I got replaced) so unless this is a known fault it can only be something I’m doing but am out of ideas.

I’ve made several adjustments to the setting such as turning anynet on/off. I only have the option of selecting PCM as the output. I have the tv connected to a sonos soundbar on a 5.1 setup via optical cable, however I also get the crackling when switching to the tv speaker so i’m confident it’s not the sound system.

Finally, samsung have performed several tests,

and have remotely reset the HDMI ports which temporarily resolved it but low and behold an hour later and it was back.

So all in all I’m pretty confused and all the basic troubleshooting steps I’ve found online don’t resolve the issue.

Samsung have escalated my recent issue with their technical support team, so I will post a response if they’re able to fix it. If anyone knows of anything else I might be missing and should try in the meantime, please let me know.

I love the picture and the tv itself so really hoping I can find a fix. Thanks so much in advance.

99 REPLIES 99
Charles12
Apprentice
Options

Just looking at the message trail this is a significant issue. I too have the problem with sound. What is less clear is what really works? Could Samsung please come off the fence and please give customers some guidance or reassurance?

0 Likes
AdrianCee
Apprentice
Options

Hi, in my case setting the tv aerial channel to an SD transmission channel and not an HD channel before switching to any other HDMI port is a 100% workaround. this eliminates the popping noise completely. I can recreate the problem easily by doing the opposite and setting the TV to an HD channel. It's a weird problem but at least there is this solution. Give it a try and post the results.

0 Likes
czippit
First Poster
Options

same issues, brand new 55",  I thought it was just me hearing things but no, it is the tv, really expensive too.

it happens with You view box a normal tv programmes and with sound bar and through in built tv speaker

I have only just set the huge beast up, grrrr.

So samsung know about this issue?

I'm angry with them for wasting my time.

I'll call Richer sounds tomorrow and see whats to do,  do I go for another samsung?

Do I look for a different tv?

Took me long enough to select this one !!!

Well I'm good at reviews and I shall be highlighting this issue and whatever is done to resolve it.

0 Likes
J0n35y
Student
Options

My tv also has this issue only had it 2 days. It's the 80R 65" model. Just tested and the aerial is the culprit so hopefully can be fixed with a software update. This is my first Samsung and for the money I didn't expect something like this. 

0 Likes
Tedson
Journeyman
Options

It's been over a year now since release with no sign of a fix. The 2020 models have now been released so expect software updates on our models to slow down as priorities shift. Sadly I think we will have to make do with making sure you are viewing a non HD channel before you switch to a HDMI source. That always solves the issue. 

Rich12
Student
Options

Thanks for all your input and suggestions guys.

Whilst it's reassuring that I'm not alone in this fault, it's disappointing that there's no reasonable solution and also no input from Samsung.

I never received a call from the Samsung technical team despite follow up calls. I've also registered a complaint online which samsung have also unsurprisingly not responded to. We're not talking cheap tech here, but sounds like there's a good few of us who won't be buying Samsung products again anytime

soon!

0 Likes
Elvb
Apprentice
Options

Two main things wrong with the 2019 TVs, sync and the popping sound issues and Samsung don't give a ***** because it's not publisize apart from inside the community. 

If it get heavily publisize out the community like on TV etc them something might get done but for now nothing will get fix.

0 Likes
Littledj
First Poster
Options

So glad to find this thread, I've been searching since last November on a cause for this with both Xbox one and Nintendo switch. Tried multiple hdmi's including high speed ones with no luck and getting really annoyed we spent so much on our Q67 model for it to be problematic even after one replacement 2 weeks after first purchasing.

will definitely give the job HD channel thing a shot. Might report the issue to Samsung along with this thread too so they have another person reporting the same. If enough official reports are made surely they have to do something about it? 

0 Likes
Andyjt
First Poster
Options

Samsung must  be fully aware of this issue, but they have chosen to do nothing.  I will admit, the next tv I get will more than likely be a different brand and I say that having bought at least 7 samsung TVs over the years (Switched from sony, but I think I might go back to sony or lg).  To solve this issue I bought a new external amplifier and run all my hdmi devices through it. So no clicking on the sound! But a bit of an expensive solution.

0 Likes
mudd666
First Poster
Options

hi, i recieved 55q85r from richersounds 2 days ago(saturday), i noticed the problem more or less straight away, i rang them on sunday and they agreed to send a replacement tv out to me on the condition if the replacement had the same issue i would be refunded my payment.

0 Likes