Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

QN900B Remote vs. Sky Q

(Topic created on: 09-08-2022 09:57 AM)
twuk
Pioneer
Options

Having now 'upgraded' from the 2020 model Q950 to the 2022 model QN900B, I'm finding the universal remote's ability to control Sky Q is a *massive* step backward.  You used to be able to simply hit the Home button, then arrow up to access the Sky box menu/guide/recordings and frequently used channels.  This is seemingly gone completely, as the Home button now brings up the full screen Samsung Home Screen with no obvious shortcuts to anything useful.

The only alternative appears to be hitting the Settings/123/RGB button, then navigating up/down to the 'control' section (below the numbers section), then navigating left/right to find the right button.

Am I missing something somewhere, or is this supposed to be an improvement?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JCrofts
Journeyman
Options

Just had an online chat with support who have confirmed that this is only possible on the Smart remote and the standard remote cannot be used to access the Sky menu.  

View solution in context

12 REPLIES 12
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@twuk  I do not have one of the latest models to check, can anyone else confirm this issue? I take it it makes no difference if you set the Universal Remote again.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
twuk
Pioneer
Options

I've tried that (twice) just to make sure the installers hadn't done something stupid.  I'm afraid it made no difference.

The only thing I would add is that when doing this on the 'old' model I recall dancing through various 'Sky' devices until I found the right one, but with this model the wizard seemed to find the Sky device immediately and the settings offered worked the first time.  I also tried then deleting the device, adding it back, and manually stepping through other options.  Sadly it made no difference.

I suspect Samsung thinks this new 'home' screen is an improvement, probably because it presents  what they want to show you, but it drops the very useful functionality that allowed one to interact with the Sky box.  Given the likely number of UK users that rely on Sky for their TV, this is likely to become a bigger problem.  I've no idea when this change came about, so not clear on how many Samsung devices will be in the wild at this point.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Thanks for confirming does seem to be an issue that can only be sorted in a roundabout way. Yes on my model  when I checked presented with a few Sky options plus Virgin and BT amongst others.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Ginga_p
Troubleshooter
Options
With qe65qn95b found pushing the middle of the circle buttons brings up what your watching now moving left gives you the option for all channels
G G
0 Likes
twuk
Pioneer
Options

Yes, true, however you can't access Sky guide or recordings from there. Only way appears to be the 'number' button and then navigating down to the cable box  menu button.

0 Likes
Ginga_p
Troubleshooter
Options
Messing about ive pressed the button with 123 on the control then on the cable box symbol in the bottom left of the screen
G G
0 Likes
twuk
Pioneer
Options

Yep, that’s what I’ve suggested above is the only workaround. Far more painful than the old way. 

0 Likes
Ginga_p
Troubleshooter
Options
Sorry didnt quit get you. Sorry again
G G
0 Likes
JCrofts
Journeyman
Options

Hi @twuk - been struggling to figure out how to get the sky menu up on my new TV for hours. Thanks for finding this workaround.  Works fine on the smart remote (even if it's a bit of a faff).  Don't suppose you know of the equivalent for a standard Samsung remote? 🤞

0 Likes