Original topic:

Q80T eArc is not working, doesn't apss through LPCM5.1

(Topic created on: 08-12-2020 10:08 AM)
Nathancai91
Journeyman
Options
TV

Hi, 

I have the Q80T series TV connected to my Sonos Arc via the eArc/Arc port (HDMI 3). But the eArc function is not working as it should. 

I have a PS5. When playing game or playing blueray, it should send LPCM 5.1/7.1 audio to the TV then through eArc to the Sonos Arc. But it is just sending PCM Stereo via eArc to my Sonos.

I also have a Nintendo switch. It only supports PCM surround not DD or DTS and I am also still only getting PCM stereo via eArc.

I think Currently eArc can passthrough Dolby Atmos or maybe DTS (Sonos doesn't support it so I can't find out) but not uncompressed multichannel LPCM.

Samsung needs to fix this. So very disappointing. 

5 REPLIES 5
Nathancai91
Journeyman
Options
TV

https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-earc-and-how-to-set-on-samsung-smart-t...

According to Samsung themselves, eArc should support uncompressed 5.1 7.1 format (multichannel LPCM)!

JoeSmithereens
First Poster
Options
TV

Yes this needs to be fixed! I contacted customer support and they said there are no documented issues. They clearly don't read their own forums! 

Nathancai91
Journeyman
Options
TV

Not a documented issue? Then we need to make them document it.

You can understand that if they do not pass through DTS content due to license issue, but why not LPCM?

I have sent an email to Sansung technical support. I guess just need more and more people to report this issue to raise Samsung's attention. 

Although they are still struggling with the Game mode local dimming and other stuff. 

Fingers corssed.

mdiiorio
Voyager
Options
TV

LPCM passthrough + eARC is broken. Seems to be related to EDID but I'm just guessing.

At this point and having my TV since more than a year I would say that this is a clear case of false advertising from Samsung.

0 Likes
MMyky
Apprentice
Options
TV

I have also the same issue. My PS5 is connected to TV and from TV I have Hdmi cable to my receiver. Linear PCM just do not work. I made an issue about the problem 6 months ago and last friday I got and answer and solution. Here it comes straight from the technical support: 

"This is a compatibility issue between the tv and the amplifier, we ask the customer to try using the ps5 without connecting the amplifier and see if this helps."

I am stunned. This is a very bad joke or incredible genius solution to the problem. No sound no problem. This saved the whole year for me. I have not laughed so much for a long time. Maybe customer support people should consider to make up some kind of stand up comedy routine or show. 

I am still sending reports to the customer support until they come up some kind of correction to the problem.

Happy Xmas to you all. Hopefully you will be luckier than me. 

0 Likes