Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 2 panel S90c query

(Topic created on: 09-11-2023 11:14 AM)
LawlessZero
Explorer
Options

Purchased a 55” S90C from Samsung direct and found this was using a gen 1 2022 QD OLED panel. I was surprised that this did not come with the gen 2 2023 panel. 

I have sent back for exchange but wondered if anyone had a similar issue experience or if any Samsung reps reading these boards wanted to comment if I should expect a gen 2 or if this is standard practice?

thank you

24 REPLIES 24
Davefromhull
First Poster
Options
We're they willing to exchange it for a 2nd gen panel?
0 Likes
LawlessZero
Explorer
Options

They sent a replacement but the panel was also gen 1.

0 Likes
CVMAN01
First Poster
Options

I spoke to Customer Service today (12/13/23) and they assured me that the S90C's being shipped direct today are 2nd gen panels with Nov/Dec 2023 build components.

0 Likes
Jacob01
Journeyman
Options

How did you manage to find out that the one you first bought had a gen 1 panel instead of a gen 2 panel? 

0 Likes
LawlessZero
Explorer
Options

You need to go into the service menus which are hidden and need to implement via a series of key commands on a magic remote. 

what you check are the anapeak values within that. If they read 686 then it’s gen 1. If they are low or mid/high 500’s gen 2. 

when the to arrives you can also see a sticker on the actual panel screen that shows a production date. 

0 Likes
Jacob01
Journeyman
Options

Incredible useful information I must say, when I call samsung support they almost don't even understand what I'm talking about regarding the difference in panels. 

another question just to be sure, the gen 2 panel is better dan the gen 1 panel right?

I first considered the s95c but hearing about the problem with gaming and ps5 connectivity, I thought It is maybe better to get the s90c. What are your thoughts on that?

0 Likes
LawlessZero
Explorer
Options

Gen 2 is better for energy efficiency and some other improvements. 

I am happy with my s90c even with the gen1. It’s annoying but not something to get overly salty about-life is too short!

I use my s90 with a ps5 and very happy with that side of things. Got it fully calibrated and it t works lovely with vrr hdr and the other gaming perks. 

id expect that if you buy one now it’s likely to be Gen 2 in any case. 

Jacob01
Journeyman
Options

Now I got my S90C, how can I get into the service menu and check the Anapeak values? 

0 Likes
LawlessZero
Explorer
Options

You need to download a virtual remote on your phone from its AppStore. 

once done:

Press Mute, 1, 1, 9, then the OK button (center of directional pad). This will bring up the Hospitality Menu after a brief moment (don't play around here you could reset your settings) then press 1, 2, 3, 4 then wait for the Service Menu menu to pop up. You now can use your normal remote again. Go down to "advanced" using the direction pad/circle and press up on volume for 5 seconds and a new menu will appear. Select "EPA" then look at your ana_peak values, if they are in the 500s you have a gen 2 panel. Power off when you are done to leave the service menu.

Thanks to L337F00l for the above instructions on the forum I use for tech and intel.