Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Typing accented letters on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ keyboard case

(Topic created on: 26-03-2021 03:07 PM)
HisDudeness
Apprentice
Options

Hi all,

I've purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ on release including the keyboard case. Until recently I haven't used the keyboard case much, but now I've started using it I realize that there seems to be way to type accented letters (é, è, ï, ê etc.).

This renders the keyboard case virtually unusable for any other language than English (and I'm Dutch). Is there any way to type accented characters without the need to use the on-screen keyboard?

Looking forward to your answers.

Go to solution
20 REPLIES 20
computersaysno
Apprentice
Options
Haven't figured out why accents disappeared in first place..all I had to do was long press key and there they were..I have A40..
Members_tOHKatn
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Also a dutchman on this side. I can't get the accented letters. I've set the English and Dutch language setting to US, International style as said, but it still doesn't work. What kind of key combination do you make? Maybe I get it wrong..

Een streepje op de "e" bijvoorbeeld.

lorival
First Poster
Options

the condensation/complilation is...

alt+e = ´

alt+i = ˆ
alt+` = ` (you need to press down ALT first, so the accentuation doesn't come before the letter)
shift+alt+~ = ~ (you need to press down shift and ALT first, so the accentuation doesn't come before the letter)
alt+u = ¨

if you need the accentuation come before the letter, do the combo above two times, or just press ` or ~

Starry Gordon
First Poster
Options

On the particular nameless keyboard I'm using -- it just says 'MADE IN CHINA' -- working with a Galaxy S8 and the English International setting, I have been able to get some accented characters by pressing Alt plus another letter, for example Alt+e produces é.  In fact Alt+ any vowel produces that vowel with an acute accent.  There are some Nordic letters as well.  No circumflex or grave accents discovered thus far.  It all seems sort of random.  I have no idea whether whatever setting produces the accented letters is stable.  Much on my phone seems to migrate around.

Marco Conde
First Poster
Options

I tried something diferent that worked in my case.

I selected two languages English by default and Portuguese as second language.

When I select the key "Lang" the keyboard lay out shift to Portuguese (and shows an alert "Português BR" that allow me to use the following combinatios keys to accent types: 

; = ç
Shift + ; = Ç
‘ + letter (a, o) = ã, õ
Shift + ‘ + letter (a, e, o) = â, ê, ô
[ + letter (a, e, i, o, u) = á, é, í, ó, ú
Shift + [ + a = à
Shift + 6 + u = ü
Alt + ] = ª
Alt + \ = º

Another types that aren't used in Portuguese are also allowed: ñ, ỹ, ẽ, ũ, ĝ, û, ŵ, ŷ, ǵ, ẃ, ý, è, ì, ò, ù, ẁ, ỳ, ä, ë, ï, ö...

Fantomina
Apprentice
Options

I figured out Spanish accents, so Dutch accents might be similar! What I did was I switched my keyboard language to Spanish (US) and then used the key that is the colon with the semicolon to create ñ,  then used the open bracket key {[ to type the accents for vowels, which you then follow with the letter: óíéá. However, at least in this text entry box (not on google docs, where the accent shows up and then you can type the letter) the letter with the accent doesn't show up until you type the letter. If you just want the enye, at least on google docs, you type the closed bracket key and follow it with whatever letter you want an enye on. 

I hope this helps! 

GoGoGriffster
Apprentice
Options

What about ¿ character?

0 Likes
Fantomina
Apprentice
Options

Hello! Yeah, so that confused me for a while too, but I can do so after switching to the Spanish keyboard by pressing the += key for the ¿, and for ? it is shift plus -_ key. For ¡ it is shift plus += key, and for ! it is shift plus 1! key. Hope that helps!

Fantomina
Apprentice
Options

See my below post! (It's =+ for ¿, shift plus =+ key for ¡, and for ? it is shift plus -_ key, and for ! it is just shift plus 1! key).

0 Likes
Members_1DQ7L6s
First Poster
Options

Also of note: on a Keyboard Case with two Alt keys (one to the left of the space bar, one to the right of the Lang key), these keys behave differently with regard to accented letters. In my case (Tab S9, Samsung Slim Case) with GBoard as main keyboard and Nederlands (Dutch) as language, when I type left-Alt+' then e it produces e, but right-Alt+' then e produces é. Also right-Alt+e produces é directly.

So try both Alt keys...