Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card encryption on a Samsung device with Android 13, where are the keys ? how to recover in case of issue ? why the process

(Topic created on: 21-02-2023 04:41 PM)
shizz
Pioneer
Options

Hi, I using a Samsung Galaxy tablet with Android 13 and OneUI 5.0. I have decided to encrypt my sd card (Android's settings > 'Other security settings' > 'Security and privacy' > 'Encrypt SD card').

To my big surprised, my SD card has been encrypted without informing me a key was generated and without offering the end user to make a backup of this key. What has been done my Samsung behind the scene ? which key has been used ? where is this key ? how can I save this key ? how can I note the key to keep it somewhere physically (via USB, or a printed paper) ?

Why Samsung is handling this so differently than Windows 11 ?
When I added a 2nd hard-drive drive (equivalent to my SD card for Android) to my Windows 11 PC, the process was completely different and much more securing for the end user : a BitLocker key was generated and was generated and was recommended to keep a recovery key to a safe place in case of issues (which I did), then I was asked for a password to decrypt this hard-drive when I want to access it from Windows 11 pc. recommended to keep a recovery key to a safe place in case of issues (which I did), then I was asked for a password to decrypt this hard-drive when I want to access it from Windows 11 pc.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Options
Why is a different operating system doing it different to windows .... Really‽
If I helped or solved your problem, please like or tick solved.

Have been using phones since 1993, and am self taught.

I offer advice for free, cos I think it'll help, if it doesn't, explain why, I might learn something new too.

Current phone Galaxy S22 Ultra
Previous phones: most S series, Note 2, Samsung Alpha, iPhone 3gs, far too many Nokia's!
0 Likes
shizz
Pioneer
Options

Why is a different operating system doing it different to windows .... Really‽

This is an answer?! you are not even understanding the analysis written above

0 Likes
keith30
Maestro
Options
At least you have a SD card on your tablet, not like the smartphones that samsung no longer have that feature, samsung removed that a few years ago
0 Likes
KevP79
Voyager
Options
Samsung uses in house encryption I believe, it's maybe tied into the knox security. Your not given backup codes. At a guess it's tied to one of the hardware IDs of your device.

The website states the card will not decrypt if you enter it into another device (even if its another samsung) which leads me to believe it's tied to a hardware ID.

If you change devices and want to access the data you need to reverse the encryption on the (original) device and set it again on the new samsung device. Which to be honest would be problematic if the original device breaks.

https://www.samsung.com/us/es/support/answer/ANS00062607/
0 Likes
shizz
Pioneer
Options

Am I dreaming ! This means that the architects at Samsung have decided the following rules:

"IF YOUR SAMSUNG DEVICE DIES, WE, SAMSUNG WANT YOUR DATA TO DIE ALSO WITH OUR SAMSUNG DEVICE."

"WE, SAMSUNG, WANT OUR USER TO LOSE THEIR DATA IF THE USER SAMSUNG DEVICE IS DEAD"