Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change between users after system shutdown

(Topic created on: 26-10-2020 07:00 PM)
firsttimebrand
Journeyman
Options

Edit 02-01-22: Apparently solution only works for some, so this is not fully solved. Hoping Samsung will fix.

Hi

First time user of Samsung and so far not impressed with the support or the product, so hope you can help!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) - 10.1 (SM-T510). It is running Android 9.0008. No new software available.

The tablet is mostly going to be used by other family members, so I have created two different users. Both are restricted users, however I did also create one aditional full user to see if that mattered (it did not).

After shutdown the other users cannot be choosen. They are blacked out, when you click the user icon in the top right corner.
Once the "owner" user logs on, it is once again possible to switch between all users.
This effectively means, that if the tablet is shutdown, runs out of power etc and I am not home, it is rendered useless to the rest of the family.

Do you know how to fix this?
Is it a setting, a bug or bad feature?

I asked Samsung support, but they would not even try to help saying it is an Android problem.
I have had other Android tablets and never had this issue, the users could be picked after shutdown.
Neither the Samsung nor the Android manuals/support sites I can find suggest this is a "feature".

Please help, thank you. If this is unfixable I will have to sell and buy a different brand (and making sure it does not have the same issue).

25 REPLIES 25
firsttimebrand
Journeyman
Options

Apparently they wont fix it for unknown reasons. I agree, it makes no sense and i wont be buying a Samsung product for my family again due to this Samsung only "feature".

Munds
Apprentice
Options

Same, this an absolutely crazy method and renders the tablet useless for us.  Will attempt to return it but may be too late now... will definitely make me think twice before using Samsung again

acgh
First Poster
Options

I found a work around!!!!

Go to "Settings" > "Security" > "other security settings" > "Strong Protection" to OFF

This allows restricted users access to the tablet after it as been powered on without the "owner" having to log in first.

bjcorc
First Poster
Options

I think I have a semi solution. 

Factory reset and made my son the administrator. Then added my other child and the adult accounts.

The child/admin account doesn't have a secure login, just swipe, then it isn't locked when you reboot.

You can just choose who to log in as when it turns on. 

The adult accounts can still have secure log in to prevent unauthorised access. 

firsttimebrand
Journeyman
Options

This works - thank you!

0 Likes
LCD327
First Poster
Options

Follwed your instructions but do not see the "strong protection" option.

Saatvik
First Poster
Options

This option is not available in my Tablet.

WendyMc1
First Poster
Options

Is this also the case with Android phones?  I'm looking for a phone that has the option to allow secondary users to log in after reboot without the admin password.  Should I be looking for a phone that's pre-Android 8?

0 Likes
Raul Oja
First Poster
Options

I do not have Security under Settings....

firsttimebrand
Journeyman
Options

Seems this does not work for many users now?  Can you post model types? Anyone have a solution or any news from Samsung? 

0 Likes