Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I update from Android 7 on my Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T813?

(Topic created on: 23-12-2021 08:42 PM)
cliff-g
Journeyman
Options
I have a Tab S2 and am starting to get some apps say I need to update them. But I can't as the updated apps don't support as far back as Android 7.  So how do I update to 8 or higher?  The Settings check for updates manually just says I am on the latest version.  The Samsung support chat person said the device is scheduled for update but can give no timescale.  I also can't quite believe when my phone is nagging me to go to 11 that this tablet is stuck on 7.  Does anyone have any advice?  Thanks.   #android7  #update
22 REPLIES 22
Doladeus
First Poster
Options

It's so disappointing that Samung particate in this planned obsescence of devices.  The updates in more recent versions of Android are minor evolutions and not even noticeable or aprecisted by most users. 

For most people, buying a new device really isn't an upgrade, it's just an enforced purchase to have a device equivalent to what they already had. And if it wasnt for security holes appearing and apps no longer being updated or supported they'd keep what they had.

It's a shame Samsung doesn't understand sustainability or employ a high calibre of software professionals to allow perfectly capable devices  to avoid being consigned to garbage.

When I'm forced to replace, will I buy another samsung? 🤣

Mr A
Student
Options

In other words you want people to toss their Samsung phones and tablets in a landfill after 2 years use? Not acceptable!

MichaelM3
First Poster
Options

I'm now receiving all these new account app alerts saying that they will no longer be accessible to me in early 2022 if I do not have a  mimium 8 operating system. 

This Tab S2 may well be the best tech device I have ever owned, and it still works perfectly after 5 years. Are we going to be forced to spend $$$$ on a new machine???

Mariok7
First Poster
Options
  1. I bough this tablet (new for around 500$cad)april 2018.
  2. Now some apps cant be install  with Android 7
  3. It means that i should change it if i want to use these apps
  4. Our kids used an old cell Phone (S7 2016) with Android 8
  5. Ask me with tablet i will buy
  6. Samsung ????
dsa42
Student
Options

How would you like it if you purchased a car, and then 2 years later nothing worked on it?  This is totally ridiculous to have a two year lifespan for a tablet.

dsa42
Student
Options

I agree.  I guess I'll look at an iPad

Deldol
First Poster
Options

I completely agree. I'm on BT Broadband in the UK and they have just changed their Virus Protect add-on from McAfee to Norton. I have uninstalled the McAfee app and tried to install the new Norton app only to find it only runs on Android 8 and above. So I'm paying for BT Virus Protect in my broadband charge and can't use it. My Tab S2 is only just over 5 years old. I've got another issue with Samsung over a warranty repair on my phone so I won't be buying any Samsung product in future, despite spending thousands of pounds on their products up to now.

0 Likes
FC360
Student
Options

Yeah the support length is a big issue with android, 2 years of updates is not enough but unfortunately it's on par with other mobile operating systems. It's a shame there isn't a dedicated android tablet OS as that would probably get longer support as windows gets 10 years and ipad os so far has been 3 years, 6 if you include the ipads that originally shipped with ios then updated to ipad os.

There's always a way around it though however it's somewhat of a grey area and I'm not sure how Samsung feels about it being done on old unsupported devices.

0 Likes
Frustrated1964
First Poster
Options

So, perfectly functional unit, but Samsung forces it to be obsolete....  Apps will not work it it now. Apps i use a lot 

This is horse *****!   Should be criminal.

Moved to Samsung because i hate ipad.   I guess Samsung is also corrupt greedy ***** too?

0 Likes