Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Consumer Rights Act 2015, Section 23:132 - 6 YEAR WARRANTY

(Topic created on: 01-08-2023 01:37 PM)
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I thought I would share a recent experience (nothing to do with Samsung) that I feel will be useful for many forum members.

I have filed a claim against a company whereby an item failed, long story short, the manufacturer started to be stupid and a friend advised me to remind them of their legal obligations (see below) as my device was considered 2 years outside the 2-year warranty period. I will keep the thread updated on my claim.

How to claim Uk Small Claims Court 

Back to the relevance here, I have owned a number of Samsung items (mobiles, microwaves, buds, watches) which failed (not damage related) and Samsung or their hapless partner provide ridiculous quotes and usually never fix the issue or it was outside their self-appointed warranty period.

YOUR UK LEGAL RIGHT FOR UPTO 6 YEARS - IS A FREE-OF-CHARGE REPAIR/REPLACEMENT

The 1 or 2-YEAR WARRANTY MANUFACTURERS STATE IS NONSENSE IT IS 6 YEARS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 is a guarantee for the consumer against poor workmanship and misrepresentation for a period of time during the life expectancy of that product, which should be no more than 6 years in the UK.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015, Section 23:132 protects consumers in situations such as these. According to this section, I have the right to insist on the repair or replacement of faulty goods, with the costs borne by the trader. Additionally, any costs associated with the removal and reinstallation of the replacement should be covered by the trader. If the goods were purchased as new, the replacement should be new and identical to the original.

Consumer Rights Act 

Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Obsydian  Thanks for sharing,would just say that whilst consumer rights last up to 6 years , after 6 months the onus is more on the consumer to prove that there was a known fault at the time of purchase.  in the first six months  the purchaser does not need to prove that the faulty item was not of satisfactory quality in order to get it repaired or replaced during the first six months after purchase. 

With consumer rights the port of call is the retailer rather than the manufacturer (if different)

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I am assuming most of us like me buy direct, but either way, if the retailer fails it is a claim against the OEM.

The first 6 mths point is irrelevant, the UK law states 6 years (not including damage).

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 is a guarantee for the consumer against poor workmanship and misrepresentation for a period of time during the life expectancy of that product, which should be no more than 6 years in the UK.

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
A number do buy mobile products direct, may not be so much the case with Tv's. Anyway have edited post. obviously can claim for up to 6 years but my point is that it is a bit more difficult after 6 months . May need evidence of known problems with the product, which guide says may need some form of expert report.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Like I said I will share my experience and it is very different to what you are conveying, it's simple it needs a repair, that's it, as long as it is NOT damaged.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Not saying claims cannot be successful after long period,personally not needed to make a claim. Anyway I wish you the best.

0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Point is the consumer does NOT need to pay for repairs.

Even Apple storrs know that and have a smart app they use to determine if the repair is free and no doubt the extra cost if someone takes them to court.

0 Likes
TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
Personally I have owned and currently still own many Samsung products, Including watches, phones, foldables, washing machine, monitor, fridge freezer, earbuds and many other products. I have been buying Samsung products for over a decade and to date nothing has ever failed. I still have the original Galaxy watch with the camera in the band and to my surprise it still charges and works. I am not defending Samsung but simply sharing my experience.
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Encouraging result, Citizens Advice has referred the manufacturer to UK Trading Standards.

The manufacturer lawyers have pushed the response timing to late September now, really dragging it on.

0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/02/martin-lewis-faulty-tech-warranty/

In the words of Martin Lewis, Warranty: pretty irrelevant when it comes to the law."

Interestingly he does call out Samsung as one he keeps receiving questions.

0 Likes