Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth visibility

(Topic created on: 21-10-2021 07:42 PM)
NinjaRanga
Voyager
Options
This is more of a general question, I guess, but also relates to the beta.

Does anyone know how to turn off Bluetooth visibility so the phone is not permanently visible to everyone? I was at the shop today, looking at my list on the phone, and a notification popped up to say that a Galaxy watch was nearby and did I want to connect?! I have a Gear S3 that was already connected, so I know it wasn't that, so it obviously belonged to another shopper.

I then tried to turn off Bluetooth visibility but couldn't see a way to do it. I remember being able to on previous phones but can't see a way to do it on the S21 Ultra. I've turned off Nearby Share and Music Share in case they make the phone visible, but no joy.

Anyone know if it's possible? Thanks.
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
charlas
Navigator
Options
That's not visibility, that's the auto connect stuff, means someone had a reset galaxy watch on for some reason?or the shop demo model had reset itself.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@NinjaRanga: You can turn off Bluetooth visibility on your device by swiping from the top of the screen to the bottom and tapping on the Bluetooth icon so it greys out, or by heading to Settings > Connections > Bluetooth > Off. As an additional step, head to Settings > Connections > More Connection Settings > Nearby Device Scanning > Off. 

0 Likes
NinjaRanga
Voyager
Options
Ah! Hadn't thought of that! Thanks @charlas
0 Likes
NinjaRanga
Voyager
Options
Thanks for your reply @AndrewL. I realise that turning off Bluetooth would mean my phone wasn't visible, but then it also can't connect to any other devices such as my car or watch without turning it on each time, which is inconvenient. I've already turned off Nearby device scanning so hopefully that'll help.
0 Likes
MartynaK
Beta Moderator
Beta Moderator
Options

@NinjaRanga,

Have you managed to solve the problem? 😊

0 Likes
NinjaRanga
Voyager
Options
Not sure. I posted something in Suggestions and had a reply from charlas to say that Bluetooth visibility is off until you open the Bluetooth settings. Bit confused now, to be honest. I'll just leave it and hope my phone is secure and discoverable by others when Bluetooth settings are closed.
Cherrad
First Poster
Options

it's just like you've said when the Bluetooth setting is closed the phone will not be visible for other devices after sometime and the already paired devices can still communicate with the phone. tested on Android 12

0 Likes
Maxvax
Navigator
Options
Does having 'nearby device scanning' off mean other devices can't connect to your device without you knowing? I want to be able to use Bluetooth for headphones without worrying about other devices pairing with my phone
0 Likes
exuvia
First Poster
Options

Bringing this up again as i searched for turning off Bluetooth discoverability for Samsung devices and I have learned from the manual that its only discoverable of you are currently on the Bluetooth setting screen.

Screenshot_20231028_104612_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes