Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XCover Key as play/pause mode for sport apps

(Topic created on: 06-07-2020 10:13 AM)
CDA
First Poster
Options

Hi everybody,

I have just got a XCover Pro, due it's robustness and certifications, makes it a very good option for training, it has also a lot of advantages against the sport-watches. I know that the Xcover key as well as the upper key could be configurable and I have already configured them as app launches, but I was looking for using them as play/pause/round mode, thus the question is: how can I use as play/pause/round the Xcover and the upper keys for apps as NikeRunClub, Wahoo, PolarBeat, Komoot,etc.?

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1
Hanku_L
Apprentice
Options

This must be most valuable feature for avid athletes and fitness-minded people. Thanks for sharing an interesting use case.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a quick solution for your question, so I asked engineering team if there is a walk-around or any plan for beta-feature in the next Android or Knox update.

It appears that the configuring of XCover key will be possible through KSP (Knox Service Plug-in) without user interaction, and I don't have the schedule for that.

But my guess is that the underlying version of Knox that will be required is 3.6+.

Certainly this should be standardised by the time of Android 11.

XCover key customization

What is this feature?

On rugged devices such as XCover series and Tab active series, there are extra HW keys called XCover key and Top key. User can set specific application launch with those keys by Settings menu. IT admin also wants to configure launching app with HW keys without user interaction.

KPE (Knox Platform for Enterprise) will provide capability to configure XCover key control menu when user press or press and hold the special keys. IT admin will configure the app which will be launched with XCover key.

IT admin can change the value and disable menu by grayout or hide feature.

Settings menu path (Knox 3.6+ and Android 11 in the future update).
•Settings->Advanced features->XCover key->Press
•Settings->Advanced features->XCover key->Press and Hold
•Settings->Advanced features->Top key->Press
•Settings->Advanced features->Top key->Press and Hold

Deliverable

Framework / KSP (Knox Service Plug-in)

By the time of Knox and Android update, you can contact Samsung Support for help with set-up.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/business/smartphones/galaxy-xcover-pro/sm-g715fzkdu07/

On a side note, each fitness app/platform partners work with Samsung on specific Galaxy devices for device integration. For example Komoot app works with Samsung watch at the moment. Zwift has expanded compatible Samsung devices.

Enjoy outdoors and keep motivated with fitness tracking!

Hanku

0 Likes