Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 phone - cursor randomly jumping when SMS texting

(Topic created on: 16-05-2023 10:57 PM)
sable
Student
Options

This morning my cursor on my Galaxy S8 started randomly going back to the beginning of the text field when trying to type SMS messages. This just started happening and I have not had any issues using the SMS messaging on my phone over the five years since I purchased this phone. This also appears to *only* be happening in SMS texting. There seem to be no issues when typing in other apps.

What I have tried so far:

• Rebooting (multiple times) - because the first thing you do is turn it off and back on again. still get cursor jumping
  • Updating the keyboard - there were no updates for the Samsung Keyboard in either the Google Play Play or Galaxy Store 
  • Deleting the Cache and Data - neither of these had any effect on the cursor jumping
  • Turning off predicative text - no effect on random cursor jumping issue 
  • Clearing SMS cache - cursor still randomly jumps
  • Taking it out of the case - cursor still randomly jumps back to the beginning of the text when trying to txt
  • Trying Gboard - cursor still jumps randomly when trying to type and SMS text
  • Tried LED Keyboard - still get cursor jump
  • Turn off SWYPE - cursor still randomly jumps to the beginning of the text
  • Restarting in safe mode - same issue

Update: swapped to a Google Messenger app, and the issue appears have resolved the cursor issue, however having issues sending text messages

Solution(?): Wiped the cache partition. so far that has seemed to fix both the cursor issue as well as the sending issue.

How to wipe cache partition:

1. Turn off your Samsung Galaxy S8.

2. Press and hold the Volume Up and the Bixby key, then press and hold the power key until the Android logo displays.

3. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition”.

4. Press the Power key to select.

5. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to choose.

6. After the wiping process is complete, “Reboot system now” is the highlight.

7. Then press the Power key to restart your Samsung device.

2 REPLIES 2
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I experienced this when I activated the Grammerly option in Settings of my Samsung Keyboard.

I ended up turning it off and fully resetting the Samsung Keyboard @sable 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

jabreen
Student
Options

"Wipe cache partition" didn't work for me.

Did you also have problems with it draining the battery?  Did that get fixed also?

0 Likes