Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decline from S5 to S8

(Topic created on: 28-09-2023 02:26 PM)
Helix FR
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I've had Galaxy S4 and S5 for a long time and I've been perfectly satisfied (they were just lacking some power). I've recently gotten an S8 and I'm really disappointed to realize that:
- The default Message application cut long messages which is unbearable so I needed to install an application.
- There's no way to block a range of numbers any more (with the wildcard character) whereas illegal call centers will always be here so again, I needed to install an application.
- The scroll of the running applications is annoying because it automatically locks on one of the application and then lacks flexibility.
- The Bluetooth connection takes much more time to be established.
- The 4/3 camera resolution is annoying since, obviously, photos will almost always be displayed in 16/9 (usually on a monitor or a mobile).
- The curved screen is a pain because it's harder to take the mobile on a flat surface, it lowers the display quality on the edges (bad view angle) and it makes bad contacts with parts of the hand that is holding the mobile. Is it supposed to look nicer this way?? If it's the purpose then it's in my opinion a total failure. Moreover, a mobile is not a fashion accessory and the priority must be ergonomics. So you need to think before imitating competitors and make a ridiculous decline.

It may sound crazy but because of all these flaws I'm not even sure to like the S8 more than the S5. I would probably have gotten an iPhone instead if it wasn't necessary to use iTunes to transfer files by USB.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Things have moved on a lot since the S8 was launched 6 years ago. All I remember about my S8 is it was great at the time.
0 Likes
keith30
Maestro
Options
That's quite a old model now, I had a S8+ and moved onto the S10 then to this one I have now S22ultra. The S8+ was a good phone at it's time but the newer models are far better. You should upgrade if what you have lacks what you want in a model.
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Helix FR You say you recently acquired an S8, may I ask  the source? In any case not really advisable as  this model was released in 2017 and  the last security update was in 2021.  There was an unexpected update last year but this only related to GPS  stability.  https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_now_55_years_old_receives_a_new_firmware_update- 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
LordJay
Pathfinder
Options
Never had a problem with S8 and in fact I still have it although it is no longer used since end of August. You could have only got it second hand and sounds like it's been factory reset and needs updating.
Jay
0 Likes
Alices____
Pioneer
Options
Any android released before 2018 aren't supported by the newest version of Android or Samsungs own OS. Have you tried a more recent release? Perhaps the S10?
0 Likes